Hi, I have a 5 month old and i was told unprotected sex during the first year after birthing a baby increases the risk to become pregnant again? I had my period about a week and a half ago and ive been having unprotected sex, my breasts hurt & im cramping

Should i test?

It is true that some women can be very fertile in the first weeks after pregnancy but not the whole year.

Bottom line is that any woman who has unprotected sex is at risk for pregnancy. If you had your period about 10 days ago it's far too early to test for pregnancy, you'd have to wait at least another week. You may not be even ovulating yet as it's only day 10 of your cycle but some women do ovulate early. I assume you know all this since you are a mother yourself.

If you don't want to get pregnant then don't have unprotected sex - it's as basic as that. If you do, then have sex from about day 9-19.

I can't say what your symptoms are, they sound like PMS but it's very early in the month for that and too early for pregnancy. It's likely hormonal, since you are still in the post-partum period.