Homeopathic treatment for infant blocked tear duck

By Anonymous November 29, 2010 - 11:22am

My 6 month old grand-daughter has a blocked tear duck since birth. It got to the point that yellowish gue comes out when you massage the tear duct. My daughter tried massaging which makes it a little better but doesn't clear it. Since my daughter doesnt like using antibiotic cream on her child, I was wondering if you knew of a homeopathic treatment to help. Thank you so much.

Hi Bellantoni I have a 8 month old with the same problem and have tried the breast milk as well as massage but his eye still gets stuff coming out. I was wondering if the Lavender oil worked for you?? thanks in advance!

Dear Anon,

Susan gave some great advise, but being a licensed aromatherapy coach I wanted to give you a bit of caution. Tea Tree oil is not advised to put in the eye or near the eye. If it is not therapeutic grade essential oil it could be adulterated and cause more harm than good.

Therapeutic grade lavender has been known to help in blocked tear ducts, Use one drop on your finger and rub across the bridge of the nose. twice a day. You may also try rubbing lavender on the reflex points for the eyes on the feet. Those points are your second and third toes.

Please let me know if I can be of future help
Wisdom By Nature

(reply to Wisdom By Nature)

Thank you. Where can we find Therapeutic grade lavender? In health food stores? Would the label indicate that it is therapeutic grade? Also, I suppose that we could find the points related to the eye on a chart. Could you recommend a chart easy to read on the internet. Again, thank you very much.

A blocked tear duct is fairly common in newborns - one of my own children had one. But to have it for six months is not good! Has nothing worked so far?

As you already mentioned, massage is good and it's good that the pus is coming out but it should be clearing up. Is she also using warm water and cotton to push out the blockage? That should help too.

If your daughter is breastfeeding, have her put some drops of breast milk in her daughter's blocked eye duct. If this isn't successful, some people like to try a gentle massage of a little tea tree oil into the affected area.

Let me know if these methods work and good luck!

Dear Susan, Thank you for your kind answer. I am going to forward it right away to my daughter and ask her how that works out. I think she tried the breast milk drops in the eye, but not for very long. Anyway, I'll let her know (unfortunately we don't live in the same town). Have a nice day!

Blocked Tear Duct