How difficult is the recovery from a bilateral diep flap reconstruction?

My procedure is scheduled for Sept. 30th. I had a great deal of pain with my double mastectomy, but I also had that procedure on the heels of 4 rounds of chemo - I am hoping that now since I am nearly 100% back to my old self, that the recovery won't be so difficult. I know that I will go home with drains - but I've done that before. I'm also a little gunshy in that during my lapyroscopic hysterectomy my bladder got knicked and that was a horrible experience. I've researched my surgeon and have recommendations for him - I'm just worried.

Dear Lawchick

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHer!

You obviously have undergone breast cancer/treatments which is a huge undertaking. Are you cancer free now?

To answer your question - obviously your recovery will depend on your health and your individual circumstances as well as the skill of the surgeon involved.

Bruising will start to fade within several days and swelling will begin to go down within a few weeks. You'll also have some scarring which may be very strongly observed in the beginning but they will also fade with time, although they usually won't disappear completely.

Congratulations on this big step! Will you keep us posted on how it goes?

Also, please take a took at our discussion thread on this very subject -

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide