How do I tell when pr is in its final stage and healing?

By Anonymous February 25, 2015 - 9:38pm

Does anyone know if PR can re occur once you've had once ?

HERWriter Guide (reply to I hate PR)

Yes, unfortunately it can reoccur.

See my post below.

There is no cure for pityriasis rosea. The rash will usually go away on its own after several weeks which is how you will know when the outbreak is coming to and end.  The lesions will start to fade.

The symptoms of pityriasis rosea, such as itching, can be relieved using different treatments. Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include the following:

Medications to relieve itching and inflammation caused by pityriasis rosea include:

• Antihistamine pills
  • Steroid pills
  • Steroid creams or ointments
  • Calamine lotion

Other Treatments

• Avoid physical activities that can raise body temperature and worsen itching.
  • Avoid hot baths or showers to prevent the itching from worsening. Oatmeal baths may also soothe the itching.
  • Exposure to sunlight or treatment with artificial ultraviolet light (by a doctor) may speed the healing process. But, be careful to avoid sunburn.

So is it safe to say that when I start seeing some of the patches get scaling that it's beginning the healing process and clearing up? Some of what I have are what appear to me as dry spots, I am hopeful that it is, this is an very annoying rash and I can't wait for it to be over. Thank you very much for your response I just hope this is a good sign for me.

Yes, when the rashes begin to look dry/fade, it should be clearing up. 

These rashes are very annoying and uncomfortable to deal with - I hope this flare ends for you quickly.

Yes, for the most part yes there are some dry scaly ones, i just started using coconut oil and now it's like a pinching feeling, we'll see how that goes. They look faded/dry until I get a shower then it looks like nothing has changed, I'm afraid not to take a shower in fear that they won't continue to fade, before the bumps just felt like typical bumps but now they feel rough skin bumps if that makes sense.

Thank you for your support, you have made this much easier for me :)

You're so welcome, Anon! 

Feel free to return if you have further questions about any health issues you have.

Pityriasis Rosea