Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: How do I unclog a clogged ear?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter

I'm getting over a bad cold and has been blowing her nose constantly. My left ear feels funny, like a clogged ear. They need to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. I tried opening her mouth and even moving my jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Jenny,

The cause must be determined. Is the problem a build up of wax or is there a blockage of the eustacean tube?

An antihistamine is effective in relieving an eustacean tube blockage.
A half and half solution of hydrogen peroxide and warm water inserted in the affected ear will dissolve a wax build up.

I hope this is helpful to you.