How to get my doctors to listen

Hello. My Little Sister has had endometriosis for 6 years and she also has a cyst on both her ovaries the size of oranges. She is only 25 years old and was diagnosed at age 19. She has two beautiful children and is ready for a full hysterectomy. She has had two surgeries promising to remove it all but each time the doctors change their minds mid surgery saying she seems healthy. The have removed her uterus in the first surgery and the F. Tubes in the second. but they refuse to remove her biggest issue the ovaries. The doctors deny her pain meds because they think she is addicted but she is in severe pain. it's crazy. I am concerned because I myself is fighting a tumor caused by cancer. our symptoms are so similar and our age aren't to far apart. but we get treated horribly by these doctors because they are too busy judging us due to our age. I don't understand it! She is now having very bad discharge with a very bad odor. she has been thru 6 different OBGYN and still no one will listen and try to help her. We have read so many stories of other women going through the same thing and found relief after a full hysterectomy. I just really don't understand why these doctors today think they know better than what a person is feeling in their own body! She is suffering and I'm sure this is killing her slowly. but these doctors won't do anything until she is really on her death bed. Please help! WE DESPERATELY LOOKING FOR HELP TO GET HER THE HELP SHE DESERVES! We need a doctor who will listen and is willing to do what the patient is requesting! We are sick and tired of Doctors thinking they know what is best for us and just by passing us while my Little Sister is suffering everyday trying to make ends meet while going through so much pain! A Doctor who understands He\She works for His\Her patient not the other way around!

Thank you!

Thank you for replying. That's what we have heard. But if she is already a mother of two and this could end her suffering of pain n save her. Then I don't understand why they are more worried about her going into menopause early rather than saving her life! We are seraching now for Doctors now but no luck.

Thank you, unfortunately the way our health system works...I'm S.O.L. until I'm on my death bed as well to heal my cancer!

Thanks for that about the insurance. I'll have her look into that.

Hi again!

I totally agree that if your sister has two children and has completed her family - like many with two children - then her wishes should be taken seriously.

Anon, for yourself, can you apply for Medicaid? You can apply at your social security office-

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER!

I can understand your frustrations for your sister's situation.

I think the doctors may be reluctant to remove her ovaries because that will put her (at 25) straight into menopause and all that entails. Their insurers may have an issue with it too. There could be things going on behind closed doors that your sister is unaware of.

Of course, there is also the idea of her not being taken seriously as she is young - although at 25 and the mother of two children, she should certainly be taken seriously - as all patients should unless there is absolute proof to the contrary.

The option you have is to keep looking for the right doctor - someone who really specializes in endometriosis. There is no name for this specialty but there are OB/GYN's who have done a lot more study, performed surgery and have more experience than others. Your sister needs to find such a doctor and work with him/her to solve this issue. You can do online research in your area, or contact hospitals near you for advice.

If you have a tumor yourself, you should certainly be under good quality care.

Please keep us posted.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide