ask: How long does it take for your body to heal/recover after smoking cigarettes?

By Bargain Lover February 13, 2009 - 2:19pm

I quit smoking nearly 10 years ago after nearly 20 years of smoking almost a pack a day.

I read somewhere that it takes the body a very long time to "heal" itself after all that poison in the system which is a bit disappointing after all the work it takes to quit.

does anyone know if the body ever really recovers from a 20 year smoking habit? I was under 35 when I quit.

thank you

Welcome everyone! I recalled that year about this time when I joyed this forum. Good news I too quit after smoking for 30+ years now at age of 51. I will never go back to starting smoking. Prayer changes things and that is what it took for me to stop. Blessing to all and good luck! You have the power to quit!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Well done! Quitting is so hard! Thank you for checking in!

Hi TO All ...!!!
As me and my friend has decided to quit smoking today. We were smoking about 4 years . When we saw the pics on the internet and the side affects of cigarettes we were shocked and decided to stop it as it would be better for us .

So , it is Our appeal to others smokers to Quit it today by breaking all the cigarettes and throwing the lighter and match box from their pockets. it is only to way to ending this habit.

I have been smoking for 15 months, about 10 cigarettes per day. I am only 16 years old and I'm quitting today. How long will it take for my lungs to recover?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You have taken the first important step. Stick with it.

Here is the link to a timeline slide show, "What Happens When You Quit Smoking"

Hey so I wanted to know a couple of things.
I've smoked cigarettes for alosmt three years, about 7-8 a day, maybe more. However I feel things in my body the way they shouldn't be. One day after a good cannabis session and a few cigarettes, my right hand felt really weak and I couldn't move it. At all. And there was no control in my fingers. And it wasn't really a bad trip.
Apart from that, my toes look a litte bent and I can barely sit cross legged anymore for more than a few minutes. And there are times when I can feel the pulse and blood flow in my legs. Is it possible that my veins and arteries are clogged or something?
What can I do someone tell me? I'm only 20 and there's a lot I wanna live for.

The best advice is quit and start today.

Listen to your body. It is giving you warning signs.

Smoking 7 to 8 cigarettes a day for almost three years has damaged your blood vessels and is reducing the amount of oxygen that reaches your body's tissues.
Cigarette smokers are two to four times more likely to develop coronary heart disease, or CHD, than nonsmokers. They are more than ten times as likely as nonsmokers to develop peripheral vascular disease, or PVD.

Cigarette smoking produces a greater risk for coronary heart disease in people younger than age 50. It doubles a person's risk for stroke.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Maryann, I think I forgot to mention I have left smoking for three weeks now. I am aware of pvd and I think I already might have developed it. However, if there are certain remedies I can do for my body, or specific exercises to bring back my body to its shape. Also any medicine that I can use for, say clearing blood vessels up. I don't wanna visit a doctor yet, as if it happens, a confirmation through his diagnosis would completely destroy my psyche. I wanna do my part first before a I go.
I hope you get my point.

Good for you! Keep on track. It isn't easy but with determination, you can kick the habit.

I can only suggest that you maintain a healthy lifestyle of a well-balanced diet and daily exercise.

Within hours of quitting, your body begins to heal.

Does not knowing the extent of any damage to your body from nicotine really boost your psyche?

I gave up 4 months ago. I went cold turkey because it isnt quitting if you substitute it with something else. I had a real tough time giving up cannabis before I gave up the cigs. Everybody is different but that way it ended up pretty easy because I basically went through hell and back. It is a long story it started off with major pannick attacks. What I came on here for was to ask anyone thats off them a long time do you cough up black shit or do you just slowly heal as I do get mucas up but it is clear or white my lungs were or are clearly black as I was smoking almost 20 years heavily. Well done and fairplay everyone keep up the goodworkand so do what it takes to stop you are the only one who can help yourself. I thought a lot giving up stuff one thing I thought was I zoomed out of myself and thought I am a little person down there on earth craving something stupid that is disgusting and killing me and people it cannot go on and the craving went away think positive things every time you crave and eventually you only think not want. Im not out of the woods yet but almost goodluck

Addictions Guide

Do you smoke? :