Addictions

Addictions Guide

ask: How long does it take for your body to heal/recover after smoking cigarettes?

By Bargain Lover

I quit smoking nearly 10 years ago after nearly 20 years of smoking almost a pack a day.

I read somewhere that it takes the body a very long time to "heal" itself after all that poison in the system which is a bit disappointing after all the work it takes to quit.

does anyone know if the body ever really recovers from a 20 year smoking habit? I was under 35 when I quit.

thank you

Anonymous

I smoked for 22 years, quit about a month before I turned 40. That was 10.5 years ago. Then I spent seven more years addicted to patches and gum--well at least my lungs were clear. The thing that helped me get nicotine free was learning how the drug worked, and why I was addicted. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT use a nicotine substitute. Study your addiction, learn your triggers, fight or avoid them accordingly. It only takes a month to beat it. It CAN be done. Love yourself.

Anonymous

I am christian converted from islam, saudi student studying and trying to make the united states new home!
I inhaled and smoked daily cigarets since 10-11 years old I just turned 20. I suffered from child abuse, but it made me stronger nd knowledgeable no complaining at all!
When I started freshman living in California campus dorms I quit for about one-two weeks then I felt I can handle this! So I though I could smoke one and only one cigaret by the end of the day. Because I wanted to smoke you see the reason I quit is that I don't want to live in the suffer of buying, thinking, smelling, tired, short of breath,ETC diseases nd life length not that important!!! After smoking once at midnight then sometimes I smoke two if I am having pressure then its three and so on.. When I quit I was using vaporizer, more than .6 mg WILL get you back to smoking at some point.. In conclusion at this moment I came to realize that if you want to quit damn cigarets you will but deep inside we don't... you have to go through the journey of ur self and learn how to rebuild what is broken....

Anonymous

Me too!
I've so "Just" quit smoking. If I ever go back to it again, I'm the son of a HO! Never ever am I touching tobacco again! Thanks guys , all the comments inspire me, I will keep reading them everyday. I guess that will help to stay put. God Bless.

Anonymous

I am 31 and I have been shining for about 16 years. Is had been 5 days without a cigarette and I have never felt better. I look at my kids and they look happier abs I'm the cause of those smiles. I don't have to go near a window every time I want to smoke. I don't smell like an ashtray. My house smells good. I just added some years to my life thanks my support team and my father above giving me the straight to do all that I can. Just can't wait to be able to run and excerise without shortness of breath. I give it to everyone on this site that had giving up smoking we are doing something right in our lives. Good luck to all on your new journey of life. Good bless all.

Congratulations! Go you!!

Anonymous

I stopped smoking 11 years go. It was hard as id been a heavy smoker born of the era when smoking was seem as cool. Thank god we know more now.
I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and no the urge does not go to smoke, it just gets easier to handle, my advice.......
change your routine, if you get up make coffee, then have a cigarette, get up make tea, or juice and dust or walk up and down stairs a few times, just do something else with the time you would normally allocate to smoking, it worked for me, id clean the bathroom and say to myself when I've done this I will have a cigarette, so instead id go and mouth gargle or telephone someone anything to use the time id smoke . Eventually the urge passes.
Ive just read my lungs may not be clear by all accounts the damage is done, but I should of bought a few extra years, I suppose that's everything!!

Anonymous

I myself smoked for 40 years so happily one day I prayed about and the desire to smoke was completely gone. It has now been 2 weeks and yes that is a big deal for someone that never stop smoking past a day since starting. There will be no more buying and smelling like smoke. My reason for stopping I want to live enough said!

After so many many prayers, I am now on my 11th smoke-free day after 35 years of nicotine. Good luck for your journey...

Two weeks have now been one month since my post on December 15, 2014 and I feel really good. I did notice some weight gain however, for me this was to be expected because the heart rate slow up the metabolic rate. Meanwhile, I bought some Green 100% coffee beans which help me to burn fast. Am looking awsome and now workout and have joined a social network to connect with other people who are hesitating over quitting. I made so many discoveries about why stop smoking can be difficult. Am hoping to share this research with some one that can write a book for me to tell everyone about what really make you start and stop smoking? You would be amazed at my discovery!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Great post, Anon.

Two hours is a big deal for some so two weeks is amazing. 

Congrats and we're always here for support. 

Do you smoke? :