Addictions

Addictions Guide

ask: How long does it take for your body to heal/recover after smoking cigarettes?

By Bargain Lover

I quit smoking nearly 10 years ago after nearly 20 years of smoking almost a pack a day.

I read somewhere that it takes the body a very long time to "heal" itself after all that poison in the system which is a bit disappointing after all the work it takes to quit.

does anyone know if the body ever really recovers from a 20 year smoking habit? I was under 35 when I quit.

thank you

Anonymous

I am 31 and I have been shining for about 16 years. Is had been 5 days without a cigarette and I have never felt better. I look at my kids and they look happier abs I'm the cause of those smiles. I don't have to go near a window every time I want to smoke. I don't smell like an ashtray. My house smells good. I just added some years to my life thanks my support team and my father above giving me the straight to do all that I can. Just can't wait to be able to run and excerise without shortness of breath. I give it to everyone on this site that had giving up smoking we are doing something right in our lives. Good luck to all on your new journey of life. Good bless all.

Anonymous

I stopped smoking 11 years go. It was hard as id been a heavy smoker born of the era when smoking was seem as cool. Thank god we know more now.
I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and no the urge does not go to smoke, it just gets easier to handle, my advice.......
change your routine, if you get up make coffee, then have a cigarette, get up make tea, or juice and dust or walk up and down stairs a few times, just do something else with the time you would normally allocate to smoking, it worked for me, id clean the bathroom and say to myself when I've done this I will have a cigarette, so instead id go and mouth gargle or telephone someone anything to use the time id smoke . Eventually the urge passes.
Ive just read my lungs may not be clear by all accounts the damage is done, but I should of bought a few extra years, I suppose that's everything!!

Anonymous

I myself smoked for 40 years so happily one day I prayed about and the desire to smoke was completely gone. It has now been 2 weeks and yes that is a big deal for someone that never stop smoking past a day since starting. There will be no more buying and smelling like smoke. My reason for stopping I want to live enough said!

After so many many prayers, I am now on my 11th smoke-free day after 35 years of nicotine. Good luck for your journey...

Two weeks have now been one month since my post on December 15, 2014 and I feel really good. I did notice some weight gain however, for me this was to be expected because the heart rate slow up the metabolic rate. Meanwhile, I bought some Green 100% coffee beans which help me to burn fast. Am looking awsome and now workout and have joined a social network to connect with other people who are hesitating over quitting. I made so many discoveries about why stop smoking can be difficult. Am hoping to share this research with some one that can write a book for me to tell everyone about what really make you start and stop smoking? You would be amazed at my discovery!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Great post, Anon.

Two hours is a big deal for some so two weeks is amazing. 

Congrats and we're always here for support. 

Anonymous

I am 28 years old and started smoking 18 monthsback. I used to smoke 10 cigerates a day and its creating lot of problems in my health condition which i am feeling day by day. My health has completely changed , i feel and look like 35 yrs old within 18 months, and unable to quit., But after readings the blog , I decided to quit and gain my original life,
I made my mind to not to touch any more cigerates in my life.
i made my mind for this life - NO MORE PUFF.

Good for you, Anon! 

Keep up the good work! 

Anonymous

I quit smoking 3 years ago after smoking for more than 40 years.
I did it with "determination".
You have to really want to quit before you can really quit! That simple.
No drug, no chemical can help unless you have "determination to quit", will help.

Anonymous

Smokers are like Frodo or Bilbo Baggins of the Lord of the Rings series. Once you have put on the ring you're corrupted for the lifetime it seems. You may quit for a day or a year or even ten years, there is always a probability of relapsing. Not to discourage anyone, but using patches and gums as substitutes has shown to cause equal harm in the long run. So, the best and most effective way to quit, it seems, is cold turkey. The reason most attempts at quitting smoking fail is cause people are waiting for something to happen and eventually get frustrated and fall right back in. The most important thing one needs to be in before quitting is right state of mind-frame. Just remember that no one is born smoker and all smoking did to you was make you miserable. Quit it and be a happy non-smoker ! Live well and good luck !!!

Do you smoke? :