Addictions

Addictions Guide

ask: How long does it take for your body to heal/recover after smoking cigarettes?

By Bargain Lover

I quit smoking nearly 10 years ago after nearly 20 years of smoking almost a pack a day.

I read somewhere that it takes the body a very long time to "heal" itself after all that poison in the system which is a bit disappointing after all the work it takes to quit.

does anyone know if the body ever really recovers from a 20 year smoking habit? I was under 35 when I quit.

thank you

Anonymous

My decision to quit smoking was based on my decision not to. That was it. I gave myself an opportunity to change the decision each day. After a while, the yearning was gone. Can't say I didn't have withdrawal and since I'd smoked for almost 35 years-sure I did. However, my only memory is the daily question. "You can get cigarettes today if you want to, it's your decision, yes or not". I felt proud of myself each day I said "no, not today." That was over 10 years ago. No urge at all to go back--as a matter of fact--just the opposite.

Anonymous

i was a smoker for 3 ,i feel uneasy as i am knowing the symptoms, i cant concentrate at anything , so today i thought to stop it .... I think i can quit it ..

Anonymous

i smoked from 1970 to 1980 and i was very often sick in that time and always coughing, so ive been free for 34 years now, and i am quite sure i would not be writing this today if i had not have stopped.

Anonymous

I 've smoked for about 6 years, and while these 6 years I was trying to quit several times and this last one is about 10 months, However I didn't start to realize that smoking affected me in really bad way until I quitted.
Right Now I'm having really hard time with The fact that my body won't return back to normal.
What I need To know right now how much I've distorted like a percentage?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

That percentage wouldn't be possible to give you Anon but smoking for 6 years is a lot better than many who have smoked for decades. 

You will of course have lung and other damages to your body but quitting now will really help to lessen any lifelong damage. Congrats on being 10 months smoke free! Don't worry about your past smoking and celebrate that you are in a much healthier place! 

Brent Sutton

i, i smoked for over 30 years, i am 44 now. i have tried to quit probably a dozen times or so. each time failing miserably and smoking more than before i tried to quit. this last time i was at 3-4 packs a day maybe a little more even. i tried the e-cig and so far so good. eventually i intend to stop that as well but for now its the far lesser of two evils. so anyone who wants to stop but has failed with other methods in the past id recommend giving this a shot. hope it helps

Anonymous

I'm 48 and I have been smoking for about 30 plus years. I have been smoking about 10-12 cigarets a day for the last 6 months, sometimes less then 10. I use to smoke a pack or more a day but I am ready to give up the remaining 10 per day for good. I am very nervous about quitting but I know I can do this!!! To anyone who has quit, GOOD FOR YOU !!!

Anonymous

Liver and lungs, outside of skin, are the only ORGANS that can regenerate themselves. Healing starts within in 24 hrs... that's why u begin to taste an smell things better.... don't quit quitting.... it's going strong for me so far!!!!! 13 days in...

Anonymous

I quit smoking by reading a book, I read it 5 times!...but it worked. I smoked for 42 years. I quit with absolutely no withdrawals. It worked. I've been free for 4 months and still going strong

Yes, whats the book??

Do you smoke? :