ask: How much physical activity can I resume after a fractured pelvis?

I fractured my pelvis 8 months ago (crushed injury as a result of motor vehicle accident). I had surgery and rehad, i am able to ambulate with a limp & some left lower extremity weakness due to sciatia nerve injury I sustained. I am preparing to return to work but I am unsure as my job is physically demanding. I am also concerned because i am experiencing intermittent hip pains. I am a 42 yr old female. My bladder is intact however i am experiencing urinary frequency in the absence of a urinary tract infection.

I was in a car accident and in this case the car flipped and i was thrown out of the car and then it landed on top of me. I was hospitalized for 10 days until they put me out for insurance reasons and only sent me home with one prescription for pain meds and 0 refills. I have a broken pelvis and fractures from the front to the back and a broken tailnone also.i have been immobile for 3 weeks now.the only position i can be in is on my back and even that seems almost impossible.the pain is that bad.my question is does anyone have any idea how long its going to take before ican walk and any thing i can do to get yeah I

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

This is very serious stuff. You need to consult with your surgeon immediately. Nobody here can give you a prognosis - you need to talk to health care professionals who are familiar with your situation. 

If you have to be transferred to a county hospital where insurance is not an issue, then insist on this. Be rational but as vocal as you can be. 

We wish you the best and please keep us posted.

somewhat of the same thing happened to me I thin on bed rest for 2 months and I barely feel a little relief I'm sorry hang in there I don't know that answer to your question but I do know that you'll start to feel a little better closer to 2 months

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I was hit by a truck two years ago and had the same injuries - broken back, spine, broken pelvis and fractures and tremendous damage to my left leg and severe nerve pain. I spent three weeks in trauma and had surgery to insert rods into my pelvis before I was sent home. I remember the pain still to this day. I feel for you and am so very sorry.

I'm sharing my recovery plan in hopes it helps you:

8 weeks bedrest. I was told this is how long it takes for the bones to strengthen and for the fractures to heal.

Diet: I was told to increase my Vitamin D/Calcium intake and to eat meat. I am a vegetarian and this was hard to do but I did it. For the Vitamin D/Calcium, I used a powder form that I sprinkled in drinks/smoothies. I lost over 30 pounds in the hospital and was extremely frail when I came home.

Rehab: I wanted to go immediately but I was not cleared due to the severity of the accident. Unfortunately, until your bones are healed, you will have limited mobility. But rest is the absolute best form of rehab you can have.

Can you go to your local emergency room? They can't turn you away because you don't have insurance. Yes, you will have medical bills afterwards but you will have care, and hopefully, some meds to help you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Same thing happened to me just last Nov, except that I had an external fix holding my pelvis together until Christmas. I was hospitalized for 2 months, completely bed ridden and was only discharged after I got onto the wheelchair. The trick here is not rush it - take more rests and up your protein intake as it helps tremendously on cutting down your healing time. Every doctors that saw me said that my external fix was gonna be in tact for AT LEAST 3 months and guess what? I got rid of it in 3.5 weeks.

Here are some helpful tips I've learned along my way to recovery (finally walking!):

1. Try to shift your position in bed every 2 hours to prevent bed sore. I couldn't sleep sideways either, but try to hold onto something and stay for few minutes before lying on your back again.

2. As your tailbone gets better, try to sit up slowly - 20 degrees, 30 and slowly get to 45 degrees. Your back will feel stretched for a few days, but that's okay!

3. Perform leg lifts, bicycle, knees bend and exercise your toes as much as you can to prevent blood clots and poor circulation.

Once you are able to stand on ground again, grab a chair, position next to your bed and practice walking a few steps here and there everyday. I started out with 3-5 steps everytime I have to get in the car, or the dining table. That was a month ago. Now I can walk everywhere by myself and everything feels so much more convenient now!

Since it's been a month since your post, I hope you're already strong enough to walk. Take one step at a time! And good luck on your road to recovery. :)

Excellent advice - especially about moving the toes, leg, body around to avoid blood clots.

I'm a writer and have a character break his pelvic bone, femur, tibia and fibula. I put him in an external brace for the pelvis right away and in traction for the leg bones until the swelling goes down enough to do surgery. All this was the result of a car accident. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for these types of injuries to heal and how long between surgeries. I have them putting pins and plates in his leg bones.

Hi, I'm a writer too and I'm just recovering from a broken pelvis, so I thought I'd help a bit. I was hit by a car as a pedestrian and sustained a open book fracture of the pelvis, I did not (thankfully) get any of the other injuries you mentioned, but I spent time in hospital with people who did.
The external brace lasted 4 days until surgery. If it helps once surgery is complete because everything is fixed back into the pelvic circle things get easier for the patient (in this case, me.) The surgery put in bolts at the sides and a plate across the front. This was followed by 2 weeks in hospital, and after about 2 weeks, very arduous physio to get sat up and transferring (non weight bearing) from bed to wheel chair. Then 3 months non weight bearing (wheelchair) and I'm still on a single crutch 3 months after that. In short 6 months to get back to no cructhes with twice weekly physio. You have extra complications with your other injuries including shortening of the limbs etc. Age is also a factor - if your character is young (lets say 20's) then they are made of bubblegum and magic and will be healed pretty quickly. If your 39 like I was, then this is what your looking at. Stay safe, avoid cars and keep writing! (p.s. 3 months in a wheelchair helped me finish my novel... so that's something I suppose :))

I was in a motorcycle accident and broke my pelvic ring in a couple of places. Pelvic hematoma, concussion were also a part of the accident. Eight days in trauma burn. I have a 15mm rod screwed through my iliac bones in the back side and a plate and 4 screws in the front of the pelvic ring. 2-1/2 months with a walker and wheelchair. I am walking now. Lots of crying. Urinary incontinence for quite a while. Much better now. Back to work. Still limp. Now I have trochanter bursitis on both sides. Shoots pain down both legs when I walk. Never had so much pain. I can't believe I am walking again. Have a totally different view of people who have to be wheelchair bound now. Can walk for miles now. Still stiff if I sit for long periods of time. Pelvic fractures are just nasty. Thankful for doctors who know what they are doing. The body is an amazing machine.

Hi I broke my pelvis 5 weeks ago in a horse accident, it broke in 3 places but I seem to be up and going pretty good, despite a lot of pain, specially at night. Wondering how long I will have my limp approx? I still use a walker most of the time, but I'm only 39 so I hope to recover soon. I also use essential oils and not so much medication because they all seem to make me sick. The doctor has changed them z3 times already and still vomit Fromm all of them. Not sure what else to try. I know I am in beginning stages of healing but I have never had this much pain in my life.

Pelvic Fracture