Pelvic Fracture

Pelvic Fracture Guide

ask: How much physical activity can I resume after a fractured pelvis?

I fractured my pelvis 8 months ago (crushed injury as a result of motor vehicle accident). I had surgery and rehad, i am able to ambulate with a limp & some left lower extremity weakness due to sciatia nerve injury I sustained. I am preparing to return to work but I am unsure as my job is physically demanding. I am also concerned because i am experiencing intermittent hip pains. I am a 42 yr old female. My bladder is intact however i am experiencing urinary frequency in the absence of a urinary tract infection.

mona

Anonymous

I was in a car accident and in this case the car flipped and i was thrown out of the car and then it landed on top of me. I was hospitalized for 10 days until they put me out for insurance reasons and only sent me home with one prescription for pain meds and 0 refills. I have a broken pelvis and fractures from the front to the back and a broken tailnone also.i have been immobile for 3 weeks now.the only position i can be in is on my back and even that seems almost impossible.the pain is that bad.my question is does anyone have any idea how long its going to take before ican walk and any thing i can do to get yeah I

Anonymous

I'm a writer and have a character break his pelvic bone, femur, tibia and fibula. I put him in an external brace for the pelvis right away and in traction for the leg bones until the swelling goes down enough to do surgery. All this was the result of a car accident. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for these types of injuries to heal and how long between surgeries. I have them putting pins and plates in his leg bones.

Anonymous

I was in a motorcycle accident and broke my pelvic ring in a couple of places. Pelvic hematoma, concussion were also a part of the accident. Eight days in trauma burn. I have a 15mm rod screwed through my iliac bones in the back side and a plate and 4 screws in the front of the pelvic ring. 2-1/2 months with a walker and wheelchair. I am walking now. Lots of crying. Urinary incontinence for quite a while. Much better now. Back to work. Still limp. Now I have trochanter bursitis on both sides. Shoots pain down both legs when I walk. Never had so much pain. I can't believe I am walking again. Have a totally different view of people who have to be wheelchair bound now. Can walk for miles now. Still stiff if I sit for long periods of time. Pelvic fractures are just nasty. Thankful for doctors who know what they are doing. The body is an amazing machine.

Anonymous

Hi I broke my pelvis 5 weeks ago in a horse accident, it broke in 3 places but I seem to be up and going pretty good, despite a lot of pain, specially at night. Wondering how long I will have my limp approx? I still use a walker most of the time, but I'm only 39 so I hope to recover soon. I also use essential oils and not so much medication because they all seem to make me sick. The doctor has changed them z3 times already and still vomit Fromm all of them. Not sure what else to try. I know I am in beginning stages of healing but I have never had this much pain in my life.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm very sorry about your accident. 

Is your pain medication making you ill? It makes me ill too (including constant nausea and constipation) but it's effective. 

Are you in physical therapy? That works very well, it really does. You need to talk to your doctor about a referral - can you do this?

Lucy1953

There are so many types of fractures that can occur in the pelvic ring. Working w/a horse, he lost his focus and went down on his front knees at a canter. I knew he was going down and I didn't want to be the first thing he hit. I pushed off to the right side of the saddle, trying to avoid being hit, but that didn't work out so well. I am 6 months out from sustaining 5 fractures in my pelvis, 5 broken ribs, 3 broken vertebrae, a concussion and a collapsed lung. No surgery, as the fractures were "stable" and the internal bleeding was controlled at a trauma center. 6 weeks in a wheel chair and 3 weeks w/a walker. Now I walk 3-5 miles daily. I can't run, and sometimes my legs give out. I'm not giving up. I am scheduled for PT every Friday and am looking forward to riding again. There is pain everyday, but I don't take anything anymore, other than a hot bath. Is the pain going to be "forever", unlike my marriage?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Lucy1953)

Hi Lucy

Wow - what a terrible accident - you are lucky you didn't die, although I recognize how serious your injuries are/were.

PT every week (more if you can) will really help but you may be in pain for quite some time due to the nature of your accident and how many fractures and breaks you had. Talk to your doctor about pain management so you don't have to be in pain on such a regular basis. Something you may want to consider for pain is acupuncture - have you thought about this option at all?

Lucy1953 (reply to Susan Cody)

Thanks for you input Susan. I am grateful to be able to walk. I will contact my Dr. regarding the pain. The cold wet days in Washington State really talk to my hips. Even though I am 60, I didn't feel "old" till this happened. I also see a Naturopath in my area and try to deal w/the issues on a more natural level. I have a phobia to RX. I have been on Medicaid since this happened, and there are many things not covered. I will see a chiropractor and an acupuncturist as my finances allow. Thanks again. Lucy

Anonymous

hi sorry about your accident. i shattered my pelvis 2 months ago running around with my kids, i did it in mid air i didnt even fall on it. anyway i am trying to find out how soon can i start walkingon my leg the doctors said 12 weeks but i cant handle another month the pain isnt to bad when i try to stand on it. should i wait will i hurt myself even more if i do try. someone help.

Sorry about your fracture!

It's best to wait for as long as your doctor says. Even if you are feeling ok, it doesn't mean the fracture has healed properly and you may do more harm than good by getting back to your routine too early. Another idea is to call your doctor and ask for an evaluation to see if you have indeed healed more quickly than anticipated.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :