I am 47 and trying to lose weight but nothing is working!

I have not gone through menopause yet but I am unable to lose weight. I work out 2/3 times a week, eat a healthy diet and still cannot lose weight. Any advice you can offer would help.

Can you explain things a little more to us?

What kind of weight loss are you talking about? 10 lbs? 50 lbs? Are you very heavy or just heavier than you used to be? Is this a health concern for you or do you want to be the way you used to be, in your 20s and 30s?

This matters because most women do tend to get a little thicker round the middle with age, starting often in the mid 40s to 50s. Since you eat well and exercise, it doesn't make sense to say eat well and exercise!

If your weight gain is more than 10lbs or so, then consider talking to your doctor about tests for your thyroid health and to see where you stand in terms of numbers for your reproductive hormones. Most women at 47 are in perimenopause. Perimenopause and menopause doesn't automatically mean weight gain but it does mean the metabolism slows down and becomes far more inefficient than when we were young. It's a real pain in the butt but it's part of many women's lives.

At 46, I know what you are dealing with. I hope to hear back from you!