i bleed through my tampon yet when i take it out only the bottom has blood on it!

I'm 17 and this has happened for a long time, whenever u take my tampon out only the bottom has blood and I bleed through I don't understand why and how I can make it stop?

Tampons have changed! I am 40 and the tampons in the 80's worked awesome, no matter the flow. Pull them out and they were full of blood and you could feel the weight of them. Never leaked! I could wear ONE all day! My flow is lighter now and they leak like crazy and are bone dry. I have c-sections, so don't blame it on that. I am sure there is more money to be made if we are going through a whole box of tampons AND panty liners monthly. At 40, I switched to a menstral cup! A million times better!

I have the same issue! I have tried every brand, size and style. I feel the telltale leakage gush and when I pull the plug, it is hardly even coveredat the uppermost tip nowhere near the string yet somehow I have bled around it. I have used tampons since I was 13 and am now 39 so Im pretty sure I am doing this right. It has only been the last 2-3 years that I have had the issue. Im wondering if its not a ploy from tampon manufactureres to make more $ because we are using more product.

I have actually had the same thing for years. About 4 years ago I had to have a hymanectomy, and I sometimes wonder if that's the cause (maybe my vaginal opening isn't the "typical" shape due to this procedure? It's on my list for my next gun appointment.

Ya I don't feel them, and through my years I've tried many diffrent brands, and the bleed through happens with the largest size as well as the smaller ones they just always have blood only at the bottom

(reply to Anonymous)

Wow, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Most boxes have a 1-800 number on the box to call and ask the company questions. If I were you, I might just try it and see what they say. Over the years they certainly have gotten this question from other consumers, because we've all had this happen to us from time to time. Just not always, like you do.

And it's not that your flow is exceptionally heavy, right? This happens even on "light" days?

Have you ever mentioned it to your ob/gyn? I'm wondering if perhaps your cervix is a little low in the vagina, and the tampon, instead of being up against it, actually ends up beside it instead. Have you ever tried tampons that were actually shorter? (Not about absorbency, but short instead of long.) I believe o.b. tampons are shorter, you might try them.

Have you heard about the menstrual cup? This might be the best solution for you if even a short tampon doesn't work. There are several brands. They help many women who have heavy flows, but it may also help you. Here's an EmpowHer post about the cups:

Please let us know if any of this is helpful to you, I'm sure you're not the only woman who has this problem and would love to know how to solve it!

Anon, what strength of tampon are you using?

It may be that you aren't using a tampon that's fitted well to your body. Are you using a thin or regular tampon? You may need to go one size up, experimenting until you get better protection. Or you may want to try another brand that might expand differently to fit the insides of your vagina.

And are you positive that you are inserting them correctly? When they are inserted correctly (and far enough in), you shouldn't feel the tampon at all.

I've had the same problem since I was 13

Anonymous (reply to Kay3492)

Me too! It only has blood on the bottom and I bleed onto my painty liner and underwear...