I do not drink alot of alcohol how did I get pancreatitis?

By Anonymous February 10, 2010 - 12:03pm

I drink socially maybe once or twice a month. What I am reading is that pancreatitis is caused by alcohol abuse and that certainy isn't me.

I am happy to found this great info! Thanks for admiration to sharing this useful sequence of content. This really for help to us.

i am pleasant after read this sufficent info So thanks shared this ultimate information Acute Pancreatitis

I'm glad you will be looking into it a little further - please give us an update when you can!

Hi Anonymous

I'm very sorry that you're dealing with pancreatitis now, I've heard how painful it can be.

Empowher describes this condition as "Pancreatitis is a disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. The pancreas is a long, flattened, pear-shaped organ located behind the stomach. It makes digestive enzymes and hormones including insulin. In pancreatitis, the digestive enzymes attack the tissue that produces them.

Acute pancreatitis—occurs suddenly, with severe upper abdominal pain (This can be a serious, life-threatening illness if not treated.)

Chronic pancreatitis—a progressive disorder that can destroy the pancreas

As you mentioned, alcohol is a main factor in many cases of pancreatitis but it is certainly not the only reason one can have this condition.

Our encyclopedia has listed many of the reasons why pancreatitis can occur. Among them are :

◦Alcohol abuse (most common cause)
◦Gallstones and other obstructions of the bile ducts
◦Surgery or trauma to the pancreas
◦Certain medications
◦Unknown causes (approximately 15% of cases)
◦Elevated blood triglyceride levels (hypertriglyceridemia)
◦Infections (bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic)
◦HIV infection
◦Congenitally abnormal pancreas duct (pancrease divisum)
◦Complication of ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)

Risk Factors
A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.

◦Alcohol abuse
◦Family history of pancreatitis
◦Personal history of acute pancreatitis
◦Medications including:
◦Pancreatic cancer
◦Hyperlipidemia (excessive levels of fat in the blood)
◦Hypercalcemia (increased calcium in the blood)
◦Viral infections, such as mumps

You can read more about this condition here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/pancreatitis#definition

So as you can see, there are many other factors that can cause pancreatitis. Do you see any on the list that might seem possible to you? Family history, a recent virus, or some of the medications listed?

If you only drink a couple of times in a month, it seems near to impossible that alcohol usage is an issue with you.

Have you discussed your concerns about how you may have gotten pancreatitis with your doctor?

I will be discussing next week, just got results back today. I was just very confused by the fact that every mention of pancreatitis is in conjunction with alcohol abuse. Glad to know that is not always the case!