I had one abnormally long period. When should I expect the next one?

By September 25, 2013 - 7:54am

I was getting very regular with my periods... 28-32 days apart, always lasting exactly 6 days.
Then..last month, it was very different. I FELT ovulation, which I know is normal, but it was the first time for me. Then I started having signs of pregnancy according to about 100 forums of womens' experiences. Definitely thought I was pregnant, then at "2 weeks" (one day after my period was due, 2 weeks after most likely "conception"), I had a sudden flush of blood. I passed out at work it was so heavy. Then I proceeded to bleed for 13 days.

Now I'm 8 days late. ???
I cannot afford a doctor and the only free clinics in my area are in REALLY bad parts of town. (Like on national lists of most dangerous places to go)

Is the period after a miscarriage supposed to come at normal time?

HERWriter Guide (reply to JillyWilly)

Hi again

I am only speculating on some reasons that could cause so much bleeding.

Some women have a period within weeks of a miscarriage, others can take a few months. All women are different.

Hi JillyWilly

It is possible that you may have actually miscarried. Up two one third of pregnancies end in miscarriage and the early miscarriages are sometimes mistaken for heavy periods.

The pull out method can work for those who have extremely regular cycles and abstain for up to 6-10 days, mid month. Otherwise, contraception like condoms and the Pill work very well. Never use the withdrawal method mid month.

JillyWilly, The only thing I can advise you to do, since you now 8 days late is to take a pregnancy test. You can buy a single one, genetic brand for less than $10. I think CVS have their own brand. They are highly accurate.

If you are negative, you may be having some kind of hormonal fluctuation that is causing this - or you may have some condition that is currently unknown. 

I agree that some free clinics are in the really dodgy part of town, but Planned Parenthood offer free help (I believe they offer free pregnancy tests)  and basic reproductive care for a sliding scale or low cost. It's worth it to call them to see over the phone how they can help. You may need to be evaluated. Hopefully something as simple as being on the Pill could regulate you and your boyfriend should chip in for that cost. PP are often in safe areas unlike the free clinics.

Has this helped you?

Please help.
ps: I'm 20, normal weight/height ratio, never been on birth control, I don't stress, I'm happily with a devoted boyfriend, we use protection and/or pull out method every time.
Also I've had swollen breasts and cramping for a week now.