I had a tubal ligation using the hulka clips about alittle over 6 years ago. I have been having unprotected sex and I am over 40 days late!

By January 30, 2010 - 2:43pm

Me and my boyfriend had been having someproblems lately and I have been really stressed out. I have endometriosis and plus I have clips on my tubes. I am pretty much irregular however, my cycle comes more often usually and not less. The first day of my last cycle was December 19 ending December 26th. It has been over 40 days! This is crazy. About two weeks ago, I saw a very light pink discharge when I wiped and I was feeling like I was about to see mother nature but, nothing! What could be going on with me? I went to the dollar store and got 3 dollar store brand $1.00 tests but, they came up negative. One had a slight line but, they said that was normal. I did have unprotected sex on the 10th of January. Is it possible that I could really be pregnant? I do not have insurance and I am unemployed right now so, what is the best test to get the most accurate results?

I have been doing a lot of research on line, and it appears that there are many factors that can effect your tubal ligation. for instance, the younger you are when you get your tubes tied, the more chance you have of them "healing" and becoming pregnant again, which can often happen up to and over 10 years after the tubal. also different tubal methods have different failure rates, but NONE OF THEM ARE 100% infact some sites state as many as 1 in 200 women can fall pregnant after a tubal ligation. thats ALOT! When you sign your papers for your tubal, it actually states that it isnt 100% I had my tubal done 5 years ago, and I am currently feeling very odd.

Anything is possible! If you think you may be pregnant, take a test. At least you'll know for sure if what you are feeling is morning sickness/signs of pregnancy.

Let us know if you have news!

I"m 24 and have the same issue. I have clips put in in 2008 after my daughter was born. My last period was Nov. 23 or Nov. 24th cant remember exact, and i was suppose to start my period on Dec. 21st and didn't. I dont really know what to expect. With both my kids i honestly didn't have any symptoms of pregnancy, but now i have sore breasts, i feel sick off and on during the day<--my husband and I think that may be because i have a small cold..but more than anything i'm confused..i dont know what kind of clips they used, i just know they told me i had "Laparoscopy with clip placement"...I haven't taken a test yet cause i'm scared..My husband and I would like another baby, but we dont have the money to have the procedure reversed..and there's the fear that if by a very slim chance we are that its an EP...But i think i'm going to wait to see what happens....best of luck to you though!

Hi Classymami27!

To understand what's going on, I need to ask you some questions. They are :

-How old are you now? That's very important when it comes to irregular periods.
-Have you been having unprotected sex since your tubal ligation 6 years ago (no birth control pills/no condoms) or did unprotected sex start recently?
-Did your doctor tell you after your tubal ligation that there were any complications?

One more thing that concerns me : the pregnancy test with a faint line. This is NOT normal. One line should be there automatically. The second line is completely clear if you are not pregnant. If there is even a very faint line, the likelihood of you being pregnant is very high - nearly 99% accurate, in fact, unless the test has malfunctioned.

I would advise you to get a brand name digital test at the drug store. While some dollar store tests are fine, I have heard of many that simply did not operate properly and gave incorrect results. I have not heard of the same experiences with the brand name digitals.

If you are pregnant, then you need to see a doctor immediately - your chances of a tubal pregnancy (an ectopic pregnancy) is raised and you may need a termination quickly since it can be fatal to the mother. I don't say this to scare you; just to share the facts. Or you may be pregnant and perfectly fine! Or you may not be pregnant at all and need an evaluation as to why you're not getting your period.

The reason I ask your age is that you may be entering perimenopause (can start as young as 35/36) or if you are older, you may be entering menopause. Both these stages of life can affect the menstrual cycle.

If you can answer my questions, we can help you out further. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon-