I have been having pain in my right breast which comes and goes and also pain in right armpit and upper back on the right. These pains come and go.

By Anonymous February 17, 2016 - 4:16pm

I am 71,,married, no children, do not smoke or drink, and I have been eating tons of fruit and vegies for years in addition to an almost organic and very healthy diet. I have never been pregnant and I am very worried. I also swim four months a year and do daily walks. I haven't had the nerve to have any exams done and I know I should but I am against having a mammogram because of the radiation. I would like to have a thermoscan but I live on a small Italian island. I did have a mammogram five or six years ago and they didn't see anything. I know that I do have fibrocystic breasts diagnosed years ago in the USA.

Thank for your question!

It seems like the left side of your torso, including breast, back and armpit are in pain. I assume you do frequent breast exams yourself that should include the entire underarm - have you felt anything yourself?

Fibrocystic breast condition is defined by National Institute of Health as lumpiness and discomfort in one or both breasts. Even though this condition is benign, it does have its complications. For instance, some women develop only mild pain and swelling premenstrually, while others have constant pain along with many nodular areas in their breasts.

A combination of reactions causes this condition. In the breast, hormones in the glandular tissue stimulates growth, activates blood vessels, cell metabolism and supporting tissue.

You seem to have a very healthy lifestyle which is very refreshing to read! But the healthiest people get ill too and if a mammogram is necessary, you may want to rethink your stance since it's not something you do all the time and the benefits far outweigh the risks. Right now you need to work with what you've got in terms of testing.

The best thing you can do for yourself is pluck up the courage to get an exam. Your issue could be something glandular or even your thyroid levels being irregular, rather than breast cancer which I think is your fear.

And if - worse case scenario - it is cancer, then you can start treatment as soon as possible. Your healthy diet and lifestyle will be of great benefit to you in terms of getting better.

I think not knowing is far worse than hearing something troublesome. And your issue may not be serious after all. It may be your fibroids that are causing all this. Please see a doctor.

Read more about breast and underarm pain here and please keep us updated: http://www.empowher.com/condition/breast-pain

Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide