i have bp, diabetic and taking medicine of losartan potasitum 50 mg and diltiazem 60mg , choesterol tabet also using i.e. rosuvastatin 5mg. everyday

I am suffering from hemifacial spasm in my left eye twitching and underneath the nerve also trembling. There is a heart beat sound start in my left eye at the same time my same eye also getting smaller for two three minutes. my cheeks trembling also my chin lift to to the left side for sometime. Most of the time heart beat sound in the ear is very un-tolarable. Very difficult to read books, or using computer, if i do that my eye will get smaller, it has been for the past 6 years. I have already taken botox for 3 times, it helps for only 3 months. I am continuously taking clonaziam 5mg tds. I do not like to take botox anymore. Kindly give your instructions in this regard.

We cannot instruct you whether you should have certain medical procedures or medications. This is something you need to discuss with your attending doctor. But we can certainly talk with you about options.

Is there a reason you no longer want Botox? Botox is temporary and needs to be readministered every 3-6 months. Are you experiencing side effects?

Hemifacial spasms is a condition in which the patient has frequent and involuntary contractions of the facial muscles, according to the University of Maryland Medical School. With a hemifacial spasm, the muscle contractions occur on only one side of the face.

Several treatment options are available for hemifacial spasms. One option is medication, such as anticonvulsant drugs, which interfere in the nerve’s firing of electrical signals.

Examples of anticonvulsant drugs used for hemifacial spasms include phenytoin and carbamazepine. Another medication option is muscle relaxants, such as clonazepam, baclofen and diazepam.

The Mayfield Clinic stated that the latter group of drugs can help with mild cases of hemifacial spasms, but can cause side effects such as dependence, drowsiness, nausea, unsteadiness and skin rashes.

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke noted that the most effective treatment for hemifacial spasms is botulinum toxin injections. Botulinum toxin, also called Botox, works by paralyzing the muscle by blocking release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. If the muscle does not receive acetylcholine, it does not receive the message to move.

In the treatment of hemifacial spasms, Botox is given to the patient in one to three injections.

The effects start within three days and can last up to three months, though the effectiveness diminishes over years of use, according to the Mayfield Clinic.

For some patients, Botox and medications do not alleviate the symptoms, so surgery is need. The type of surgery used for hemifacial spasms is called microvascular decompression. In this procedure, the surgeon relieves compression on the facial nerve by placing a Teflon sponge between the nerve and the blood vessel putting pressure on it.

With this surgery, 85 percent of patients have immediate relief, 9 percent have diminished symptoms, 2 percent have a delay in having facial spasms, and 7 percent have a recurrence of symptoms, noted the Mayfield Clinic. Side effects can occur with this surgery, including facial weakness and decreased hearing.

Is surgery something you are considering?

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/hemifacial-spasm/content/what-are-hemifacial-spasms

We hope to hear back from you!

Hemifacial Spasm

Hemifacial Spasm Guide