i have an irregular period.. is that normal?

By August 24, 2009 - 9:16am

Im 16 and i have been having my period since i was 9. its always been irregular but my mom told me that at some point it would be normal but at times i dont have my period for 2 months. also its sometimes heavy and others very light. sometimes i get it for 3 days and others for almost a week. couple days ago i heard that not having a normal stable period could be something dangerous and that it could do intervene with me having kids in the future. i was wondering if i should wait a couple more years or if i should go get checked..

dear Camil-117

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

Irregular periods are 'normal' for some women for the first few years when they get their period and for other women, they have irregular periods for life. It does sometimes become a bit tricky to become pregnant when one's period is very irregular because it's so difficult to pinpoint ovulation.

But 'irregular' women have babies every day of the week so it's certainly not a sign that a women is infertile or will have great difficulty getting pregnant.

Here's a big word for us all : Oligomenorrhea. It's the medical term for irregular periods.

I think what you may have read was that irregular periods may be a symptom of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and PCOS can affect a woman's ability to become pregnant. Was that what you heard?

I wrote about this condition - here's an extract for you:

Irregular periods (also known as Oligomenorrhea) can be caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) or fibroids (tissue growths) or any number of issues that your doctor can explain to you further.

Our website has more on PCOS here : http://empowher.com/news/reproductive-system/ovary-conditions/polycystic...

And here is a story about Fibroids:

Of course, it could be none of the above -

According to womentowomen.com, here are just a few reasons why you could have irregular periods:

-Significant weight gain or loss
-Poor nutrition (or a diet too high in carbohydrates)
-Drug use
-Excessive alcohol use (interfering with how the liver metabolizes estrogen and progesterone)
-Eating disorders
-Increased stress
-Polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance
-Uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis)
-Hormonal imbalance related to perimenopause
-Recent childbirth, miscarriage, or D&C

( www.womentowomen.com )

Do you see any possible links from that list? Do you over exercise, perhaps or do you feel stressed?

I know this is worrisome for you so please talk to an OB/GYN about this so you can get some answers and a little piece of mind. It may be nothing at all or it may be a common health issue that needs a bit of tending to by a professional.

Camil-117, you may just be a bit unlucky in terms of irregularity or you may find that by the age of 18 or so, your cycle will be much easier to predict. But just keep in mind that PCOS could be an issue too.

I know I've given you a lot to read up on but let me know what you think!