Nail Ridges

Nail Ridges Guide

ask: I have recently discovered dents (or ridges) in my fingernails. What does this mean?

I have dents on all of my fingernails except one. They did not used to be there! What is wrong? I am taking vitamins, and I believe I am relatively healthy. I am 19.

Anonymous

I have really weird ridges in my nails and it started in my thumb than out started to become in all My finger nail. It's like 5
of them i have .no o idea what it is and it Looks disgusting

I have the same thing!!

Anonymous

I got the dents when I started taking Pro gene a testserone enhancing over the country supplement they have grown to the tops of my fingers. Now I have stronger more healthier nails. ???????

Anonymous

Most of the time it is a calcium or protein deficiency.

Anonymous

I have kidney stones and before I knew what was wrong and they started moving, and the pain came.. BOTH times (years apart)... I developed dents in my thumbnails first (2nd time was all my fingernails). I believe that your fingernails can tell you when something is wrong in your body.

Anonymous

Nopp i dontt have any of these things!! Theyy just appeared after taking nail polish off.. Its soo ugly!! Is there any way i can get rid of themm?? :'(

Anonymous

Aaaaah help me!! I ot all ugly horizontal dents only on my thumbs,, with like white horizontal stripea uuurgh what are they help help

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

Usually when you can see white stripes or marks on your nails that is a sign of damage to the nail bed. You may have hurt your nails and never even realized it. Have you read the other replies to the similar concerns on this post? Many times this may occur from a vitamin deficiency, damage to the nail, as part of your normal anatomy, or can be more significant and require further testing from your doctor. Do you have any health issues that concern you?

Anonymous

Will do! :)

Anonymous

I looked at the link you posted... On the slideshow on page 6 "Rippled nails", that's exactly what mine are. It says it could be an early sign of psoriasis or inflammatory arthritis, so I'll definitely ask when I go see the doctor next week. Thanks for your help!