I Noticed that my Yasmin Birth Control Pills where expired a year ago and i took the pack and noticed after, can i be pregnant? and can they harm me expired birth control pills? Plz help!

Thank you kindly for the msg.. I had the pills stored in my washroom cabinet but i haven't been on the pill for 4 years.... cuz i haven't had a boyfriend for the last year or so, and before that i was using condoms.. but know im in a serious relationship we choose to not use condoms and use the pill.. and i noticed they expired a year ago but i assumed there ok.. and just took.. it should be ok.. i will get ride of the rest of them and get new ones.. thank you kindly. -Sara

Anonymous (reply to Sara2r)

Hi Sarah,
I was just wondering, did your bc end up working ok? I just realized I have been taking 8 month old (expired) pills and I am seriously concerned. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative however, I know that it may be too early to tell. What was your experience?
Thank you!

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi Chrissy,

One woman's expired birth control pills will not necessarily provide the information that you need for your expired birth control pills. When are you expecting your period?

Hi Sara2r - welcome!

Our website is a busy one, we try to respond as quickly as possible - thanks for your patience!

Expired birth control pills can and do lose their effectiveness - you should get rid of the old ones and start a new, non-expired regime. How did you get expired birth control pills, were they give to you recently by your pharmacy? If so, you need to contact them immediately and let them know!

It depends on the brand of Pill (you can contact Yaz to ask them) and how they were stored. Manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution and be very conservative in their 'use by' dates. In other words, many medications can work effectly after their use-by date but do lose their strength over time.

It will also depend in where or how they were stored. Were they in a sunny spot, or a humid area? This can alter their effectiveness.

Make sure you begin a new packet of Pills (using the directions carefully) and contact the place that gave you the expired pills. Your birth control didn't stop being effective the day after their "use by" date, but since all medications will ultimately lose effectiveness over time, it's important to make sure they are taken within their specified dates.

I do think that your Pill may still be effective, despite the expiration, but as to HOW effective, I cannot tell you. Contact your doctor or better still, the manufacturers of Yaz. Only they can give you the best idea as to when their product really loses it's ability to work.

You should also take a pregnancy test on the off -chance that you are pregnant. There is somewhat of a risk of possibly harming an unborn baby if taking birth control pills but since most Pills these days are of a low dosage of hormones, risks are not as high as they used to be. Many women get pregnant accidentally, while on the Pill and have healthy pregnancies and babies but if you are pregnant, you need to stop taking the Pill immediately.

I hope this helps.

Can someone please respond! thank u kindly...