Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

i only had sex with my husband now i have pvp virus

By Anonymous September 15, 2015 - 2:15am
Rate This

Married for 31 yrs. A week ago my Gun told me I have pvp virus.. Four years ago I found out my husband has been having affairs throughout the marriage

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi Anon

Thank you for your post!

When you say "pvp" do you mean the "hpv" virus?

Human papillomavirus or HPV, is the primary cause of cervical cancer and the most common sexually transmitted virus in the United States. Men are just as likely to contract HPV as women. But, there is no diagnostic test that can accurately determine whether a man is carrying an HPV infection.

The most important thing to remember is that HPV infections are very common, and are usually nothing to worry about! In most women, HPV infections go away or are suppressed by the body without causing any problems that need treatment. It is only when an HPV infection stays active over a long period of time that abnormal cells may form.

If the HPV test shows you have a high-risk type of the HPV virus, but your Pap is normal, then the expert guidelines recommend that both tests be repeated in 6-12 months. Check with your own personal doctor regarding the monitoring he or she wants to put in place. If your HPV infection is still active at that time, and/or if your Pap is now abnormal, another exam called a colposcopy may be needed to help determine if any "bad cells" are present. If abnormal cells are found early, before they become cancerous, treatment is highly effective.

If the HPV test shows you have a high-risk type of HPV, and your Pap result is abnormal or inconclusive ("ASC-US"), the expert guidelines say you should have a colposcopy exam right away.
Note that if the HPV test shows you do not have HPV, but your Pap look abnormal, it is less likely that you have cervical disease. The presence of a high-risk type of HPV is necessary for cancer to develop. However, just to be sure, the guidelines recommend that you get a colposcopy exam of your cervix. And if you do not have HPV but your Pap results are unclear or inconclusive ("ASC-US"), both the HPV and Pap tests should be repeated in a year. Be sure to speak with your doctor or nurse about your results and next steps.


September 15, 2015 - 4:18am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Get Email Updates

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!