I REALLY need peace of mind, please read!

By Anonymous November 3, 2010 - 9:54am

I've been on the pill, loestrin 24 fe, since Sept. 19th and I had my period from Oct. 9 to Oct 17th. I stuck with the pills though. I had sex on sept. 21st and haven't had sex since. I was on day 3 of the pill and we used a condom both times we had sex on that one day. I took two ept pregnancy tests, one last week which was negative and one on sunday which was also negative. I took the one on sunday with my first urine in the morning. My breasts are sore though, but is that from the pill? I keep reading about women having their period while being on the pill and still being pregnant and it is freaking me out. What are the chances I could be pregnant? Please help put my mind at ease...I'm 17 in 3 days if that matters. Thank you, ladies. Oh and also, does sperm live once it is outside the body? Like if you masturbate after getting sperm on your hand about 10 mins earlier, but you wipe it on your leg or a blanket before touching your vagina could it get you pregnant? I feel silly asking all this, but I had an abortion in June (please don't judge) and I just don't want to go through that again.

If you are taking your pill correctly and you have several negative pregnancy tests, then you're not pregnant. You cannot have a period while being pregnant - that's a falsehood that many people believe because some women do bleed when pregnant but it's not from a period.

Bleeding while on the pill is normal - it's called breakthrough bleeding and happens during your placebo pill period. It's also called a "period" sometimes although it really isn't.

As far as how long sperm can live outside of the body? That can be just a few minutes up to 2-3 hours. Therefore it's important to use protection during sexual activity and not just sexual intercourse.

But again, if you are on the pill and taking it correctly, you should be fine.

I hope this helps!