I took plan b yesterday morning and had sex that same night but the condom had a tear. Should I take plan b again or will I still be protected from taking it earlier.

By March 17, 2016 - 11:23am

Fyi I am married and we always use condoms but didn't the first time. We aren't trying to get pregnant but if we do that's ok too. Just wondering if the plan b will still work.

Hi Kava

We cannot say that the emergency contraception will work (at least up to 95% as it does not guarantee you absolutely won't get pregnant) because it does need to be taken after intercourse, not before. In actuality, it may cover you but since it goes against the instructions given, you will have to take it again to give yourself the best odds of avoiding pregnancy.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-contraceptive-pills

Will that be harmful to my body? What effect will it have on me to take it twice?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Kava)

Hi again!

A list of side effects should come with the package. They may include nausea, irregular bleeding and you may be irregular next month too. You may feel a bit PMS-ish for several days.

You should get back to normal in a few weeks. It's not harmful per se but there can be some bad side effects (as listed above) because of the large dose of hormones.