If you have stage 2 breast cancer, malignant, and are treated for 5 yrs. Are you cancer free?

By June 27, 2009 - 3:02pm

I have stage 2 breast cancer, malignant and want to know after the 5 year treatment am I cancer free?

You are very welcome and thanks for the update. Please let us know where you live and we can check into a support group for you. If you prefer not to say publicly, you can send a private message. A support group in your area will not just be an emotional outlet, they can also be a great soundboard and give you practical advice on where to go and what to do, based on where you live. They will also be in a very similar situation to you, right where you live. They can be your eyes and ears (and breasts, so to speak!) and can give you some tangible answers as well as the good old fashioned shoulder to cry and lean on that every cancer patient needs.

Hope to hear from you,

I trely want to thank you for responding to my question. That response is more than I have gotten in 2 years from my cancer doctor. I am not in a support group and really do not know what to do or who to ask my questions to. I have doubted my treatment and really needed to have answers. Again thank you

Hi Wemomma55!

Thank you very much for your question and welcome to Empowher!

I think the "five year" mark you are talking about is the fact that a person is often considered "cancer free" if they have remained fully in remission for five years. If you are receiving cancer treatments for five years (which I think is the gist of your question but please let me know if this is not the case) then this does not mean you are cancer free. If many doctors consider a person to be cancer free when they are free and clear of any signs of cancer for five years, it's because these professionals feel like once a person passes that 5 year mark, then the patient has the same chance of recurrence as someone who never had cancer.

But not all patients or doctors subscribe to this point of view. Because cancer is so unpredictable, one never knows. For some people cancer can reoccur a year after remission, for others they can live another 50 years of healthy living and die of old age.

Please take a look at a very short (a couple of minutes) of one of our breast cancer survivors, talking about remission - http://www.empowher.com/community/herstory/video-herstory-glynis-shares-when-her-breast-cancer-went-remission

And please check out our breast cancer page here : http://www.empowher.com/condition/breast-cancer

Wemomma55, we wish you the very best in your fight against this disease and I hope you get the very best care out there. Thank you for your question and for advocating for your own health!
Do you have a good support system, both emotionally and medically? How else can we help you?

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide