Immediately after my cataract surgery I experienced "star bursts" when looking at point sources of light

By Anonymous February 15, 2010 - 10:37pm

My doctor waited several months and then we tried two different medications at night to constrict the pupil without having any improvement. We waited another few months and he did YAG surgery to, {I think} remove a slight amount of residual capsule. Again no improvement. My retinal specialist says the retina is fine. Previously the eye had a retinal detachment that was treated with a gas bubble. I subsequently had a vitrectomy. Immediately after that surgery I had severe complications and needed an I&D several days later. The problem eventually resolved but a few months afterwards started to rapidly develop the cataract.

I have had retinal detachment surgery in both eyes, right '99 with buckle , left 2010 vitrectomy & gas and then 2013 cryotherapy / laser plus silicone oil. This was a catalyst for cataract so in 2014 they removed oil & did cataract surgery. Had 2 yag capsulotomy as cloudy vision and I complained of starbursts around lights, particularly headlights and street lamps. Yag made little difference. Given drops reluctantly- horrible - my brow ached and I felt sick on then. Struggling to drive at night! Right eye needs cataract surgery too now - consultant think a it's a retinsl issue & it didn't show up because the cataract was blocking it! I wonder if it's the kens though? Read this issue us referred to a as dysphotopsia ?

I had surgery three months ago. Horrible star bursting day and night.

Had Yag and no improvement. Seems worse.
Anti glare glasses - no improvement.
Night vision glasses - no improvement.

Has anyone had success with getting rid of this?

I am getting desperate.

I had cataract surgery; starbursts started immediately afterward. Had YAG surgery in right eye -- did not help starbursts. Had YAG surgery in left eye - made them worse!!! Had second YAG surgery in left eye yesterday -- don't notice any improvement yet.
Perhaps, a lawyer is the only way to go. I'm tired of being told I'll be OKAY and the starbursts will go away....

I had corneal transplantation surgery on left eye and right eye. 1994,1995. Then Cataract surgery in 2003, and 2005. Yag surgery on both eyes, 2012, 2014. Very bad starbursting and basically don`t drive at night anymore.Looking into lasik with the surgeon who did the transplants to help the bad nearsightedness.

I had YAG surgery at OHSU. Completely removed all star bursts. Really satisfied with provider.

Who's your provider at OHSU? I'm getting really desperate! I want my life back! I want to drive at night like I always was able to!!

Have you considered trying polarized night-vision driving glasses. Not very expensive and a LOT less invasive than poking sharp instruments into your eye.

I have the same problem with star bursts. I believe the lens used were defective and the only way the get rid of the star bursts is a lens replacement..if any body knows of a way to alleviate the problem please let me know.

Hi drledft - Did you doctor discuss floaters with you? They are fairly common after cataract surgery, and can appear to be specks that move or drift as you move your eyes. In some cases they're present prior to the cataract surgery but aren't visible because of the cloudiness from the cataract. Most of the time floaters are normal and will disappear. Sometimes, however, the floaters may indicate a retinal problem such as a retinal tear or hole in the retina. I mention that because I'm not sure from your comments whether the the retinal specialist has examined you since you had the cataract surgery.

Here are two links with additional information on floaters and retinal detachments that may help answer your questions. Otherwise, have you considered seeking an opinion from another eye specialist? Having vision problems at night must be impairing your driving and causing concern, in addition to being very annoying. I hope this information is helpful. Pat

(reply to Pat Elliott)

Thanks for the information but it is not applicable. Yes, I know what floaters are and have experienced them for years. My retinal specialist has examined me multiple times and has not found any current retinal problems. My problem is not related to floaters but is of a very different nature. Again, the current problem only began after the cataract surgery. Thanks for your reply.

Eyes & Vision

Eyes & Vision Guide