ask: Implantation Bleeding or Menstruation?

I’m confused and wonder if you could lend some advice or your own thoughts on the differences that you have experienced on this topic.
I have regular cycles around 27 days (sometimes 26). My menstruation typically starts light and is super heavy the second day (red in color). It typically lasts 4-5 days. On day 12 of my cycle I have a positive OFK and subsequently had intercourse. I either ovulated on day 13 or 14 so today would be around CD 11. Yesterday morning, I started with a very bright colored blood and then experienced nothing until later in the afternoon. Later it was more and I had some cramping. I used a tampon b/c I did not have pads. That night it was only on one side. Two different times I had a drop on my underwear. Overnight it did not fill half the tampon. Today was the same thing. In fact after six hours and then checking the tampon, it was filled about half way, but my guess is that it was not soaked all the way through. The color is not the same as usual, but it seems like I shouldn’t have that much blood b/c what I read says “spotting”. Typically, today I would be really heavy and it is about half that. It is also three or four days prior to my period so I am confused. It feels like a period, but I am unsure because of the bright color and amount. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Loveme1)

Hi Loveme1

If you are on birth control and taking it properly, then your risk of pregnancy is only about half a percent each month. You got your period (break through bleeding when on the Pill) and even though it was brown, it's ok, periods are often light when you're on the Pill. You can take a test to reassure yourself but I think it'll be negative. 

Women who are on the Pill do not ovulate. 

Anonymous

I had unprotected sex on the 31st of August im not sure if he pulled out or not, according to my ovulation calendar my ovulation date was sept 1st. I took a test 5 days before my missed period got a negative and I took one on the 15th which is when I was suppose to get my period got another negative. On the 16th I woke up I had very light bleeding only when I whipped then on the 17th it was still very light I used a tampon just in case and barely got anything on it. Now today when I woke up there was no bleeding, what could this be

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern.

Take the wait and watch approach. If your period doesn't start by September 22, take one more test. To ensure the most accurate results, check the expiration date on the test package, read the directions and test using the first urine of the morning.

Please keep us updated.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi, I am confused. I started what I think was my period. But it was a little lighter than normal, and stopped 3 days ago. For the past 3 days, right before I go to bed I start spotting and it stops again while Im asleep. But the second I wake back up in the morning, Im spotting again. When what I think was my period ended, later that night while I was work doing my night shift it felt like I had peed, but it was actually blood. It lasted about an hour then it stopped and the spotting started up the next morning.

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern. I can appreciate how confusing this must be.

I do not think this is implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding is scanty, and pink to brown in color. It lasts only a short time and the spotting does not progress to bleeding.

This irregular pattern of spotting, vaginal bleeding, spotting could indicate a hormonal imbalance. Depending on your age, this could be an early sign of perimenopause.

If you are younger than your late 40s or early 50s, consider calling your gynecologist to report this.

Regards,

Anonymous

Okay so i have had my period 3-7 i had unprptected sex on the 7th 10th 12. On the 13 i had so dark browish spotting when i wiped two drops in panties. Later that night nothing. The next day went to the restroom wiped light brown blood. Later that day nothing. Now today is the 15 i have not seen any blood. I havent cramped at all durinf this time can sone one please he

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It's possible that this is implantation bleeding since you had unprotected sex at a time where you were probably fertile. But taking a pregnancy test if you don't get your period when due will let you know for sure. 

Anonymous

I finished my period, then a day later I had some brown discharge & today I started bleeding again?

Anonymous

Doc, is that positive when i laps 2 days? my menstration is 13 until 16...

Anonymous

Hi , I am sexually active and my period is due today but I've been spotting all day and this has never happened before !!!!

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: