ask: Implantation Bleeding or Menstruation?

I’m confused and wonder if you could lend some advice or your own thoughts on the differences that you have experienced on this topic.
I have regular cycles around 27 days (sometimes 26). My menstruation typically starts light and is super heavy the second day (red in color). It typically lasts 4-5 days. On day 12 of my cycle I have a positive OFK and subsequently had intercourse. I either ovulated on day 13 or 14 so today would be around CD 11. Yesterday morning, I started with a very bright colored blood and then experienced nothing until later in the afternoon. Later it was more and I had some cramping. I used a tampon b/c I did not have pads. That night it was only on one side. Two different times I had a drop on my underwear. Overnight it did not fill half the tampon. Today was the same thing. In fact after six hours and then checking the tampon, it was filled about half way, but my guess is that it was not soaked all the way through. The color is not the same as usual, but it seems like I shouldn’t have that much blood b/c what I read says “spotting”. Typically, today I would be really heavy and it is about half that. It is also three or four days prior to my period so I am confused. It feels like a period, but I am unsure because of the bright color and amount. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It's possible that this is implantation bleeding since you had unprotected sex at a time where you were probably fertile. But taking a pregnancy test if you don't get your period when due will let you know for sure. 

Anonymous

I finished my period, then a day later I had some brown discharge & today I started bleeding again?

Anonymous

Doc, is that positive when i laps 2 days? my menstration is 13 until 16...

Anonymous

Hi , I am sexually active and my period is due today but I've been spotting all day and this has never happened before !!!!

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

By the time you read my reply, your period should have already started.

Implantation bleeding can be confused as the start of menstruation. If the scant spotting increases, it is your period. If the spotting is relatively light, and stops, it is implantation bleeding.

Regards,

Anonymous

Ok so my name is Constance an im 18 years old. For about three years I've been taking birth control. Recently this month of Augusts birth control ive been missing but ive caught up on track an I had unprotected sex the day before my period of last month an days after an while I was fertile an ovulation. So when its time for this months period, I was having black discharge before my period instead of the usual brown discharge an this went on for two days before I started bleeding but my blood was dark red. I didn't have any of the usual period symptoms of the nipple aches, cravings, an cramps, just dark blood. So I bled for about 3 days an stopped so I figured it was my period. Now im light bleeding again an don't no what it is. My appetite is changing, I have back an abdominal pain from time to time, an im always tired an want to sit down. Can someone tell me what this may mean.????? Plzzzz

Anonymous

This is a helpful website, need to add myself to it.

Anonymous

I need some advice/thoughts. I had a miscarriage last december at just under 6 weeks. My schedule resumed pretty quickly and 29 days later (after bleeding) I got a normal period and have been having them right on time since then with no history of abnormalities, etc. This month has been very different. On July 18 (as scheduled) period showed up and seemed normal at first except a bit lighter with barely any cramps so I assumed I was just having an easy period. Ended after 4 days, which is pretty normal but then picked up again the next day, got lighter later in the day then picked up again the next day. Ended after a full 7 days from start to finish which is long for me for a period, especially since I never slow down then start up again. Then, on cd 16 (only 7/8 days after the bleeding from my period stopped) i started bleeding again, light flow needing only pantyliners, bright red with cramps (again very light cramps and not like when I miscarried). So the bleeding pretty much died down last night which was cd19 and this morning only spotting a bit and it's brown blood. My cycle has never done this to me before and I can't stop wondering if there is something wrong with me or if it's at all possible this is implantation bleeding. I have no other symptoms other than started to feel a bit queasy this morning and last night had a very very very strong craving for pickles and cheese, even debated making a pickles and cheez whiz sandwich (before I realized I didn't have any pickles) and that also never happens to me. I can't go to the doctor until the end of this week at earliest as I am in another city for work this whole week. Has anyone else experienced some similar???

Anonymous

This to happen to me my period came on like 11:30p.m on the 8th the hold tampon was full on the 9th bt the 10th 11th and today it wasnt the case the tampon wasnt even half way full I dont know nor understand I need someones advice.

Anonymous

Hello I too have an issue and I am really confused. Me and my boyfried have had unprotected sex quite a few times and I was supposed to have my period July 6 but it came about 4-5 days late, and I am usually on time I track it on an APP i have on my phone, i was having some slight cramping not bad really. Usually I would have felt terrible beacuse my menstrual cramps are crutial. I have been feeling nauseous and and everything but no boob soreness, bloated maybe symptoms I normally dont have while on my period. Im am really confused. I do want to be pregnant so I hope I am. Could some one please help?

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: