ask: Implantation Bleeding or Menstruation?

I’m confused and wonder if you could lend some advice or your own thoughts on the differences that you have experienced on this topic.
I have regular cycles around 27 days (sometimes 26). My menstruation typically starts light and is super heavy the second day (red in color). It typically lasts 4-5 days. On day 12 of my cycle I have a positive OFK and subsequently had intercourse. I either ovulated on day 13 or 14 so today would be around CD 11. Yesterday morning, I started with a very bright colored blood and then experienced nothing until later in the afternoon. Later it was more and I had some cramping. I used a tampon b/c I did not have pads. That night it was only on one side. Two different times I had a drop on my underwear. Overnight it did not fill half the tampon. Today was the same thing. In fact after six hours and then checking the tampon, it was filled about half way, but my guess is that it was not soaked all the way through. The color is not the same as usual, but it seems like I shouldn’t have that much blood b/c what I read says “spotting”. Typically, today I would be really heavy and it is about half that. It is also three or four days prior to my period so I am confused. It feels like a period, but I am unsure because of the bright color and amount. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi, sorry for the long essay but hoping to get some insight, so here goes. My last period was fri 31/10/2014(started a day later than expected),and only lasted 2 days with some discharge on sun 02/11(it was also my last cycle on the Dianne pill,took the last pill on 26/10)bearing in mind my usual length is 4 days give or take-oh and my cycle length is 28 days every month(with the exception of Oct.). My fiancé & I dtd on 10/11,13/11 & 15/11(according to my period calendar my fertile days were from 10/11-14/11), I started spotting some first clear with slight pink tinge discharge on 19/11 and again on 20/11. On 21/11 I started spotting some brown discharge on my underwear which I noticed in the evening and a bit of light pink blood when wiping, I put on a pad as of Saturday and still till today, have mostly the brown discharge with a little bit of blood on the pad and then some blood when wiping but it's alternating between a darker reddish blood and lighter reddish blood on different occasions and it's quite a light flow, doesn't even fill a pad a day(sorry if it is TMI)so I'uncertain about whether it can be a period as my periods are usually heavier than what I am now experiencing. I took a pt on 21/11 and today 24/11 but both were negative. Is there a possibility I could be pregnant and this is implantation bleeding?.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

What do you mean by "dtd"?? I'm guessing that it's "did the deed" meaning you had sex? Let me know! Also, don't initialize too much as everyone does so these days even if it's not globally used and it's hard to keep up! "I had sex" works best! and we can help you better :)

Sometimes coming off the Pill can mean your cycle is irregular for a while. If you got a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative then you are not pregnant. But if you last had sex on the 15th a test would not be accurate for another few days. 

This does not sound at all like implantation bleeding. That kind of bleeding is just drops and it's over the course of about a day.  To me it sounds like you are having a light period due to coming off the Pill. 

To get pregnant, make sure you are having sex mid month - at least every other day from day 10 of your cycle to day 20. Day 1 is the first day of your period. 

Hi yes that is what I meant. It seems like it has turned into a more of a period like bleed just a few hours after I actually posted this question,so I ruled pregnancy out. Thanks for the advice though, will definitely use it ;)

aparicio21

Hello i need some adivice, So i got my menstrual cycle twice last month the first one was from Sept. 3-7 and then got it again around Sept. 28/29- Oct. 4 and the it stopped but on Oct. 6 i was having brown discharge which more than likely was old blood what does this mean im always regular on my period but i had unprotected sex after my first and second menstrual from last month which was on Sept. What does this mean? Could i possibly be pregnant or could this have anything to do with a miscarriage i had back in july?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to aparicio21)

Hello aparicio21,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community and thank you for reaching out to us for advice. I suggest you contact your gynecologist because of your miscarriage in July. Your physician knows your medical history and is knowledgeable regarding recent irregularities in your menstrual cycle.

Regards,

Anonymous

I'm suppose to start my period next week...We have been trying to get pregnant but no luck, last week we had intercourse and today 10/17/14 I have been spotting a dark brown color..Is this normal? I'm 34, does age matter? I'm pretty regular and don't know what is going on...I wish we were pregnant :/ Please let me know

Pregnancy after 35 starts to be harder but at 34 you shouldn't have too much difficulty. 

It's too early to tell if your period now but you can test in a few days. Spotting (as long as it's spotting tiny drops, not a flow) could be implantation bleeding so you may be in luck. 

Anonymous

So I am 3 days late on my cycle. For the past 3 days I have a very light but brown discharge on one side of my tampon and what looked to be pink spots only on the tip I have had cramps on and off. I do use a tracker and would love to be pregnant. I am pretty regular and my cycle is ever 28 days like clock work to where my body usually tells me when I am about to start before my apps. I was at first feeling like I was about to but then it stopped. About 6 days before I was about to start I did have about 6 hours of pink discharge. Any inside thoughts?

Anonymous

I normally get start my period around the 7th but its already the 12th... On the 3rd, and a little while before that, I had some bleeding. When it happened on the 3rd I thought it was my period, but it wasn't. On the 4th I had unprotected sex.. He pulled out and actually never even came. Could I be pregnant?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your question. If you do not get your period in the next day or so, take a home pregnancy test.

If your period was due to start on October 7, you should have already ovulated about two weeks before, and there should not have been a risk for pregnancy with unprotected sex on October 4.

Regards,

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: