ask: Implantation Bleeding or Menstruation?

I’m confused and wonder if you could lend some advice or your own thoughts on the differences that you have experienced on this topic.
I have regular cycles around 27 days (sometimes 26). My menstruation typically starts light and is super heavy the second day (red in color). It typically lasts 4-5 days. On day 12 of my cycle I have a positive OFK and subsequently had intercourse. I either ovulated on day 13 or 14 so today would be around CD 11. Yesterday morning, I started with a very bright colored blood and then experienced nothing until later in the afternoon. Later it was more and I had some cramping. I used a tampon b/c I did not have pads. That night it was only on one side. Two different times I had a drop on my underwear. Overnight it did not fill half the tampon. Today was the same thing. In fact after six hours and then checking the tampon, it was filled about half way, but my guess is that it was not soaked all the way through. The color is not the same as usual, but it seems like I shouldn’t have that much blood b/c what I read says “spotting”. Typically, today I would be really heavy and it is about half that. It is also three or four days prior to my period so I am confused. It feels like a period, but I am unsure because of the bright color and amount. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Anonymous

So I have been having pregnancy symptom like nausea, pulling sensation, mild cramping,afeeling like something is in my throat, and sometime fatigue. So my period came on today butday but it's very light and it's usually heavy, like the tampon has some light red blood.........So can someone help me am I pregnant???????

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It sounds like you may have some kind of cold or flu virus.

Since you have your period today (even if it's light), this means you are not pregnant.

Dec10 (reply to Susan Cody)

Even if it doesn't go onto the pad because it's light like it stays inside and when you put a tampon there's light blood on it. It's your period right?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Dec10)

Hi Dec10!

If there is no blood at all on your pad then this could be implantation bleeding which is generally a few drops of blood. 

If your period is due now, however, this is probably the start of your period. Sometimes it takes a day or so to kick in. 

prettypink

Hi

I do have regular cycle for the past half a year (at least), and I have been late for a week as of today. I did have protected sexual intercourse (protection started mid-way) over the past month, but the number of times are no more than 2 times. I haven't been having tender breast, giddy or morning sickness over the past week. But I'm just pretty worried.

After a massive read online, I was introduced to spotting. Now, a week late, I'm currently bleeding. The blood is kinda little on the pad (like other times), it's bright red and has bright red slimy discharge when I wipe clean. My urine is also red in color after mixing with the blood discharge. I'm confused. Is this considered spotting? Or, it's my period?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to prettypink)

Hi pretty pink

This sounds like your period but I would advise you to take a pregnancy test to be sure.

prettypink (reply to Susan Cody)

Hi Susan

Thank you for the reply. After a day, it does seems like it's my period. Blood flow seems normal like the past times (with the need to change a pad over a few hours). Should a pregnancy test be required still? Thanks.

Hi prettypink

I would accept this bleeding as my period unless you are a worrier! Some women are and just like a test to be sure. But I wouldn't think a test is really necessary - it's up to you!

Anonymous

Anonymous
so my boyfriend and I are trying to conceive and have been for the past 4 months. My periods have always come on time but this month it was 6 days late. I was sure I was pregnant but on the third day of my late period I went to the doctors and took a urine test which was negative. My period showed up on what would of been the 7th day late, but it was really light and only showed when I wiped. That night I slept with a tampon and woke up with it full and some blood on the bed. That same day it went away and today its now light again and only shows when I wipe, or drips out when I go to the toilet. Its bright/light red and is alot lughter then usual. I am getting no cramps at all like I usually do and I was just wondering if this could be implantation bleeding or just a weird period.
thanks!

Unfortunately I think this is your period - it's just a bit different than your usual one. A pregnancy test at your doctor confirmed this.

Keep trying and good luck - remember it can take up to a year for a healthy man and woman to get a positive pregnancy test!

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: