ask: Implantation Bleeding or Menstruation?

I’m confused and wonder if you could lend some advice or your own thoughts on the differences that you have experienced on this topic.
I have regular cycles around 27 days (sometimes 26). My menstruation typically starts light and is super heavy the second day (red in color). It typically lasts 4-5 days. On day 12 of my cycle I have a positive OFK and subsequently had intercourse. I either ovulated on day 13 or 14 so today would be around CD 11. Yesterday morning, I started with a very bright colored blood and then experienced nothing until later in the afternoon. Later it was more and I had some cramping. I used a tampon b/c I did not have pads. That night it was only on one side. Two different times I had a drop on my underwear. Overnight it did not fill half the tampon. Today was the same thing. In fact after six hours and then checking the tampon, it was filled about half way, but my guess is that it was not soaked all the way through. The color is not the same as usual, but it seems like I shouldn’t have that much blood b/c what I read says “spotting”. Typically, today I would be really heavy and it is about half that. It is also three or four days prior to my period so I am confused. It feels like a period, but I am unsure because of the bright color and amount. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Positive pregnancy blood test today! Good luck all!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It sounds like your period is on it's way, albeit slowly. 

Anonymous

I thought I would share my experience as its so frustrating when people are desperately asking questions on here and not getting any answers. So here goes. I am 35 and have a 2year old who was conceived in 4 months. We have been trying to conceive number 2 since August this year. My last proper period was on the 3rd November 2014. It was a normal 5/6 day bleed. Using " my days" iPhone cycle app knew I would ovulate around the 15th so we made sure we did it a lot around then. However my philosophy is always every other day when not on a period anyway as you never can be truly sure when you ovulate. So on the 27th November started to spot and just thought period was on its way in a few days. Spotting hit a bit heavier so stuck a tampon in and thought that was it for this month. When I was changing my tampons I noticed that they did not have much blood on them and it was more black blood than red blood. This completely stopped 2 days later. That's unusual I always have 5-7 days periods with a decent flow. On Monday and Tuesday this week I was feeling very tired and not right . Something inside me told me to get s pregnancy test. I tested on Tuesday afternoon and got a faint line. Used the other test the next day and got a faint line. Starting to get excited but wanted to be sure so took s digital this morning and got "pregnant ". I'm 4 1/2 weeks and it took me 4 months again to conceive! I am also taking seven seas "trying for a baby" vitamins for the last 4 months. Hope this helps at least someone , implantation bleeding is real and a light period which does not seem normal you should test to be sure. Good luck , Eve

Anonymous

I am on 26 days cycle. I had my normal period on 6/11-11/11. after 8 days on 19/11-22/11 i had another round of very dark brown to black colour discharge. I would like to know how should i determine my menstrual cycle, count from 6/11 or 19/11? I still dont have anything today. Thank you

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your question.

It is possible that the very dark brown vaginal discharge that you had from November 19 to 22 was old blood remaining from period which ended on November 11.

I would use November 11 as the starting date to determine your next menstrual cycle. But, consult your physician to be certain.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi, sorry for the long essay but hoping to get some insight, so here goes. My last period was fri 31/10/2014(started a day later than expected),and only lasted 2 days with some discharge on sun 02/11(it was also my last cycle on the Dianne pill,took the last pill on 26/10)bearing in mind my usual length is 4 days give or take-oh and my cycle length is 28 days every month(with the exception of Oct.). My fiancé & I dtd on 10/11,13/11 & 15/11(according to my period calendar my fertile days were from 10/11-14/11), I started spotting some first clear with slight pink tinge discharge on 19/11 and again on 20/11. On 21/11 I started spotting some brown discharge on my underwear which I noticed in the evening and a bit of light pink blood when wiping, I put on a pad as of Saturday and still till today, have mostly the brown discharge with a little bit of blood on the pad and then some blood when wiping but it's alternating between a darker reddish blood and lighter reddish blood on different occasions and it's quite a light flow, doesn't even fill a pad a day(sorry if it is TMI)so I'uncertain about whether it can be a period as my periods are usually heavier than what I am now experiencing. I took a pt on 21/11 and today 24/11 but both were negative. Is there a possibility I could be pregnant and this is implantation bleeding?.

What do you mean by "dtd"?? I'm guessing that it's "did the deed" meaning you had sex? Let me know! Also, don't initialize too much as everyone does so these days even if it's not globally used and it's hard to keep up! "I had sex" works best! and we can help you better :)

Sometimes coming off the Pill can mean your cycle is irregular for a while. If you got a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative then you are not pregnant. But if you last had sex on the 15th a test would not be accurate for another few days. 

This does not sound at all like implantation bleeding. That kind of bleeding is just drops and it's over the course of about a day.  To me it sounds like you are having a light period due to coming off the Pill. 

To get pregnant, make sure you are having sex mid month - at least every other day from day 10 of your cycle to day 20. Day 1 is the first day of your period. 

Hi yes that is what I meant. It seems like it has turned into a more of a period like bleed just a few hours after I actually posted this question,so I ruled pregnancy out. Thanks for the advice though, will definitely use it ;)

aparicio21

Hello i need some adivice, So i got my menstrual cycle twice last month the first one was from Sept. 3-7 and then got it again around Sept. 28/29- Oct. 4 and the it stopped but on Oct. 6 i was having brown discharge which more than likely was old blood what does this mean im always regular on my period but i had unprotected sex after my first and second menstrual from last month which was on Sept. What does this mean? Could i possibly be pregnant or could this have anything to do with a miscarriage i had back in july?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to aparicio21)

Hello aparicio21,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community and thank you for reaching out to us for advice. I suggest you contact your gynecologist because of your miscarriage in July. Your physician knows your medical history and is knowledgeable regarding recent irregularities in your menstrual cycle.

Regards,

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: