Implantation Bleeding or Menstruation?

I’m confused and wonder if you could lend some advice or your own thoughts on the differences that you have experienced on this topic.
I have regular cycles around 27 days (sometimes 26). My menstruation typically starts light and is super heavy the second day (red in color). It typically lasts 4-5 days. On day 12 of my cycle I have a positive OFK and subsequently had intercourse. I either ovulated on day 13 or 14 so today would be around CD 11. Yesterday morning, I started with a very bright colored blood and then experienced nothing until later in the afternoon. Later it was more and I had some cramping. I used a tampon b/c I did not have pads. That night it was only on one side. Two different times I had a drop on my underwear. Overnight it did not fill half the tampon. Today was the same thing. In fact after six hours and then checking the tampon, it was filled about half way, but my guess is that it was not soaked all the way through. The color is not the same as usual, but it seems like I shouldn’t have that much blood b/c what I read says “spotting”. Typically, today I would be really heavy and it is about half that. It is also three or four days prior to my period so I am confused. It feels like a period, but I am unsure because of the bright color and amount. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Anonymous

Hello
So I'm experiencing a weird menstrul this month. I had my last menstrul June 12-17. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex July 2. Around July 10th I started to bleed heavy and the next day it was light and then I stopped bleeding for the rest of the day. I woke up the next day and decided to put a tampon on there was really light pink blood on the tampon. So I stopped using the tampons and put on a pad, there was brown spotting. The third day I didn't bleed the entire day until I went to bed and I had cramping so I checked myself and the bleeding was really really light and a pinkish color. Normally my menstrul is 5 to 7 days. And this month it was only 3. I have a heavy cycle and I don't use birth control and I'm so confused on what the issue is?

Our periods can change due to simple change in body chemistry or a hormonal change. Our bodies are in constant motion and change so this is not an unusual occurrence. If you have further concerns, call your doctor but it doesn't seem like there is a problem here - you just had a lighter period this month.

Anonymous

Hello, I am 22 years old and for the past year or so I have been having kinda regular periods, considering I haven't had a regular cycle since I had the depot shot in high school. But for the past year I've been having alot of brown blood the first day or so and be heavy on the 2nd-4th and then it kinda just stops. But my last period it was the same but I noticed that one side of the tampon was red and the other side brown, the last day which was yesterday was brown but today I wiped and it was a light pinkish color.. Could this mean ovarian cancer?!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Generally, brown vaginal discharge indicates old blood. Since this is causing you concern, consider scheduling an appointment or just talk to your gynecologist.

According to the American Cancer Society, the most common symptoms of ovarian cancer include bloating, pelvic or abdominal pain, trouble eating or feeling full quickly, and urinary urgency or frequency.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hi I have a question. I've called my dr to check as well but I'm waiting for a call back. I am 23 and on Nexplanon for birth control. I have been on it since about 2010 or 2011 ( this is my third actual implant). Since taking Nexplanon my periods have ceased. Which I never complained about haha. With my first implant- implanon around year 2 and some months I bled, and of course freaked out called my dr and the nurse said It was a sign of pregnancy to take a test. I did and it was negative so I went to the dr and had it replaced early. So this year in January with my second implant I bled for less than a week (maybe 3 days) and had it replaced at my dr at the end of feb. the implant I currently have has been placed since feb 25 2016. I know it's still there because I can feel it, never had issues with it since but I started bleeding yesterday. I freaked out and took a preg test which was negative, but I'm so paranoid because ive heard people get pregnant on Nexplanon. I'm not sure how to tell if it is implant bleeding or period bleeding because I don't get regular periods so it's not like I've"missed one" and even if it is a lighter flow compared to when I used to get periods back in high school, the other two times with the BC I bled it was lighter and only a few days. Is there any way I can determine for sure I'm not pregnant ?? I think im just freaking myself out but I'm worried. The preg test came back fully negative within 1 minute ( first response test). I just want to be sure and I just moved out of state so my dr is back like 12 hours away. Pleaseeeeee help me

Sorry you have moved, I know it's hard not to have your usual "people' around when you need them.

First Response is very accurate, I think you can trust it. But I do understand your worries. My advice is to go to a Planned Parenthood near you. They can conduct a low cost blood test for you and you'll know for sure. They are also a great organization for all your reproductive concerns so ask them about this bleeding.

Hello,

I want some answers, I have had a period this month in the 2nd August and have now experience some more bleeding now, 30th I am not due for another 4 days. But the thing is the bleeding isn't as usual as it always have been, it is a pinkish colour, and bright, sorry for too much information, but also do have cramps. I have been researching about it but hasn't really given me a useful answer. If anyone would help me out woul be appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could help. I'm slightly confused. My husband and I have been trying for a baby the last 7 months and we haven't been lucky. My period is due on the 6/8/15. On Sunday afternoon (2/8/15) I had very light cramps and notice so brown spots in my underwear and when I was wiping, later it was a bright red colour, I've keep on/off with the spotting on my pads and when wiping. It's now been 4 days. It doesn't feel like a period at all, I normally experience painful cramps,headaches,sickness and back ache. Which I'm not, could this be implantation bleeding?

HERWriter Guide (reply to summer15)

We use month/day/year in the States, just an FYI when giving dates!

It could be implantation bleeding but a test would be accurate now - you are due today. A early pregnancy test will let you know.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for getting back to me, I took a test this morning and it came back negative :-(. Starting to wondering if we can have children, as I calaulate when I'm ovulating.