Sacroiliac Joint Pain

Sacroiliac Joint Pain Guide

ask: Info on sacriliac. I have had a pain in the left side near the small of my back. I just had a test and it showed my kidneys are ok, so my dr said it could be the sacariliac. So, I go home and read all about it online.

It says hormones during pregnancy, but would periomenopause cause it as well? Also, I am not an athelete, I am a 55 year old woman. It basically is in the same location all the time,not going down my legs or other areas. I see where it is hard to diagnose, is this true? I feel a small bump in the area, is that consistent with this type of condition? I am currently taking an anti inflamatory called Etodolac, is this a good anti inflamatory? Where would be my next step in diagnosis, as my doctor just said this could be it and let me go home. Nothing else.

I'm not sure about what you mean by "hormones during pregnancy" - can you explain that?

Here is some info on sacroiliac pain;

Doctors may be unsure if the pain starts in the joint or in its surrounding ligaments. Ligaments are bands of tissue that connect one bone to another bone. It is also difficult to tell if the pain is coming from the sacroiliac joint or the small joints in the lower spine. These smaller joints are called facet joints.

The sacroiliac joint has many nerve endings. The nerves send pain signals to the brain. Pain in this region may be caused by many factors:

Treatment:

Treatment depends on the cause of the pain. Any underlying condition would receive treatment specific for that disease. For stress fractures, doctors recommend limited weight-bearing. Regardless of the cause, short-term rest is often advised.

Other treatment may include:

Medication

Your doctor may recommend or prescribe any of the following:

• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as:
  • Pain medication— acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • Steroid injections into the sacroiliac joint
  • Antibiotics for infected joints

Physical Therapy

Physical therapy may include:

• Exercises to stretch the muscles of the lower back
  • Exercises to strengthen the muscles which support the area
  • Exercises to affect the motion of the sacroiliac joint
  • Applying ice to the painful area
  • Applying deep heat to the sore area

Back Care

Prevent stress to the painful area with the following:

• Proper bending
  • Proper lifting
  • No twisting of the body

Anon, you need to get a referral from your doctor for physical therapy and to possibly see an orthopedic specialist. But you need to get this seen to so please schedule an appointment and keep us posted!

~Susan