Irregular Menstrual Cycle

By May 4, 2011 - 10:21am

I'm 21 yrs old. Its been about 8 months since ive gotten my period. & no, im not pregnant. Its just that ive been irregular since the first time i got my period. My mom once told me that she had the same problem when she was young and my twin sister is having the same problem right now. I wanted to know if that's bad for my health or if there could be any consequences later on when i try to get pregnant. What can I do?

Hi shaparritaah

Thanks for your post! There seems to be a genetic link of some kind in your family, since your twin and mom also have these issues. That or there is an environmental factor going on.

You should see a doctor about this because your reproductive system is not functioning properly. In order for you to get pregnant later on, it'll be far easier if your cycle has been normalized. But since you are no longer getting periods at all, you need to see a doctor. It may be something that changes (and your mom obviously got pregnant and with twins, too!) but you should really be seen.

Take a look at our Amenorrhea (lack of periods) page here http://www.empowher.com/condition/amenorrhea

Let me know what you think!