Irregular periods

By Anonymous March 22, 2011 - 10:37am

I am 20 years old and my periods are highly irregular..duration of 40 days are normal. I had an ultrasound done on 23rd day of my cycle and endometrial lining is just 3.7 mm. I had ultrasound done as was worried about pregnancy as periods are highly irregular. Is it possible that I might be pregnant with 3.7 mm lining or what should I do to make my periods regular.

Hi Anonymous

You may be pregnant if you are having unprotected sex - are you? Also remember that the uterine lining is quite thick right before your period so if you got your period in the days after, that may account for it.

Some women have irregular periods for life and often go on birth control pills to regulate their monthly cycles. There are other methods of birth control (ones that are inserted, for instance) that also regulate cycles; your doctor can talk to you about these options. These methods generally works very well and prevent pregnancy on top of it (but not STDs).

But not everyone wants to be on birth control that is hormone- based so it's going to be a personal decision for you.

Since you are sexually active now (I assume so based on your questions) this might kill two birds with one stone (so to speak).

How do you feel about this?

If you are worried about pregnancy right now, feel free to take a test.