irregulate period

By July 12, 2016 - 12:22am

September my period was normal but then from October to December I didn't have one and it finally came at the end of January, then slipped febuary then came back at at the end and it staid until beginning of March and now I had not had one since. I went to doctor and they done a prego test and a hormone test but both came back normal. So I don't know what's wrong with me.

Hi Stacier

Gynecologists typically agree most irregular periods are benign. They’re usually caused by some sort of hormonal imbalance. Monthly periods are susceptible to highs and lows in our emotions and health. Simple things like illness or travel can bring on irregular cycles.

Anorexic or bulimic women or endurance athletes can find their menstrual cycles lessened or stopped due to a decrease in body fat. These women have low estrogen and aren’t ovulating.

Stress – this includes drug use and reliance on caffeine and alcohol – can lead to irregular periods. Medications, such as birth control, may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, skipped periods or no periods at all. Other causes can be recent childbirth, miscarriage, a D&C and even breast-feeding.

Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) usually don’t ovulate regularly. With PCOS, high levels of estrogen are generated but no eggs are released. The excessive estrogen stimulates the uterine lining to thicken to a point where it must be released. However women with this condition aren’t having what are considered “real” menstrual periods since they’re not regularly ovulating.

Another cause may be your thyroid. When thyroid hormones are off balance, a wide range of symptoms can result, including irregular periods.

Anon, I suggest you go to a doctor specializing in hormonal problems with women, You may need a scan to see if there are any internal growths causing your lack of periods too.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/menstrual-cycle/content/missed-periods-and-related-womens-health-conditions