is it bad that my period has always been irregular?

I am 21 years old and being that its almost time for me to start a family I question my "womanhood". Since getting my period I have always been irregular. I would get it on time for a few months then I would miss it entirely for a month here and there. I never had a set cycle but because I was such an athlete I related it to my athletics. I am not longer in sports and I do not go out of my way to work out and I still don't get regular periods. Could something be wrong? And is it effecting my fertility?

Oh and 2 years ago I went to the hospital for a bladder/kidney infection. For reasons I still don't understand I got cervisitis from the infection. They did an ultra sound on my ovaries and said I had no cysts or any abnormal growths. My gyno exams have always gone smoothly (haven't gotten checked in roughly 2 years).

Irregular periods aren't necessarily "bad" as in "unhealthy" but they can make it harder to get pregnant, simply because it's harder to know when your fertile periods are there, due to not knowing your dates.

I do think it's a good idea to talk to your ob/gyn about what you can do about your periods and their irregularity if planning a family is your next step (and please don't feel like you need to start a family at the age of 21; it's still very young and you have many more years to start or expand you family). Putting pressure on yourself can affect your cycles even more.

Please make an appointment with your doctor. If your cycles are so unpredictable that you are missing them altogether at times, it's a good idea to have a thorough checkup. You may need some help in this area or you may find you have no problems at all; however, it's better to know this sooner than later.

Please keep us updated!