Is it normal to have 2 periods within 2 weeks after the morning after pill?

By Anonymous April 3, 2015 - 8:44am

I had the morning after pill twice in 2 weeks, then I had a period so on the day I started I took the contraceptive pill subscribed by my doctor. However, the next week I had a period again?

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for coming to us with your concern.

The bleeding you experienced is called breakthrough or withdrawal bleeding. It is bleeding between periods and is caused by taking an emergency contraceptive/

Anonymous, why did you take the morning after pill twice in two weeks? Did your doctor advise you to? Did you start an oral contraceptive on the day your period started?

Please consult your gynecologist. I am concerned that a hormonal imbalance might exist because of taking two doses of the emergency contraceptive so close together and starting a new prescription of birth control pills.