Q: 

Is it normal to have a brown spot I your nipple?

I recently noticed a brown bump on my left nipple. In texture it's similar to a mole or a lymph node? Is this normal? I'm 18 years old and am really worried.

Guide

Hi Anonymous and thanks for bringing your question to EmpowHER.

As we get older we will develop all kinds of lumps and bumps and spots on our bodies. For the most part these are harmless. It's important to know where they are and to be on the lookout for changes.

The signs of skin cancer for a mole, birthmark, beauty mark or any brown spot are the following:
-  changes color or texture
-  increases in size or thickness
-  is asymmetrical and irregular in outline
-  is bigger than 6mm or 1/4", the size of a pencil eraser

Please ask your doctor about this spot at your next appointment, and if you notice the changes mentioned above get in to see your doctor right away.

Hope this helps,

Pam

Tags:

Skin Cancer

Skin Cancer Guide

Guide