Is it normal to have more than 1 period a month

I'm a 24 year old female, who has been experiencing 2 periods a month for the last 3-4 months now and it's starting to worry me. The pain is excruciating and the flow is intense. I tend to miss classes, or work just because moving from my bed around the house is difficult enough. This weekend I got my 2nd period in the last 2-3 weeks and its so intense that my abdomen is sensitive to even the slightest touch, and I feel dizzy and exhausted beyond anything I have previously experienced. Is it normal to have this problem, or is there a reason to be concerned?

Please do, kittygirl. Never feel that a "female" issue should not be checked into. We'd never say that to a man experiencing prostate problems.

I'm so happy you made an appointment. August 5 is great. Make a list, if you like. All your symtoms and all the dates of when you are getting your period. You'd be amazed how much you know in your head and how much you forget when you're in the doctor's office and you only get 5-10 minutes. Make a copy of your list and hand it to the doctor - most doctors really appreciate this!

I wish you the best and look forward to your update!

Thanks so much for replying it made making an appointment feel a lot easier, sometimes I feel weird about making one with my doctor about more "female" issues. The earliest they can get me in is Aug 5th so heres hoping I can stand the pain and other symptoms until then. I'll be more than happy to send an update once I have some clarification as to whats going on.

Thanks so much for your question and welcome to Empowher!

Without causing undue worry, it's not exactly "normal" to have two periods a month, particularly also when you are experiencing so much pain. Some women do experience pain before and during their period but the pain you are experiencing really needs to be seen to.

Your symptoms could be any number of things, so there is little point in hypothesizing what could be wrong. It could be something as taking a suitable birth control pill to regulate your montly cycle or it could be something that needs further investigation.

If this is coming out of the blue in the last four months you need to see a health care professional to check things out. It certainly may be nothing but better to find something early (if there is an underlying issue) than wait.

Will you get it checked out and update us?