Moles

Moles Guide

ask: Is it normal for a mole to just suddenly appear on your skin?

By GauguinFan

Hi

We just noticed a small blackish brown mole on our toddlers thigh that has appeared out of nowhere. It is dark brown in color and is quite small but noticeable. It has not changed in size or color or consistency since it sprouted but it hasn't been that long. It wasn't there a few weeks ago - this is brand new.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Is it something that needs to be seen by a doctor or is this common?

She has very fair skin and wears a factor 50 sunblock at all times and has no other moles or freckles.

Thanks

Anonymous

i have recently found pale moles on my skin is this normal tell me because i dont understand all of that scientific stuff

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Please review the previous posts (just one-click away on this same discussion thread), as the information is VERY helpful and not "scientific" at all! The basic information is: if the mole has changed in color or shape, is extremely different than other moles, than it is a good idea to have it checked out by a dermatologist.

Otherwise, most moles are not cancerous, and adults can have new moles "appear" that are perfectly normal.

Anonymous

I have a similar concern with sudden mole appearing on my two year old. It is about 2-3 mm and is round. I am concerned because it is exceptionally dark, almost black. Also, earlier today it was swollen and tall. Now it has come down again and the black spot is recessed. His doctor thought it was a scab, but I (nor any mother I spoke to) has seen a scab like that. Also, it does not soften when kept moist. Don't scabs do that? I decided to take him to the dermatologist rather than waiting for the doctor to call me back with the referal. Everywhere I look it says you should take any "changing" moles to the dermatologist immediately. Would you agree with this approach?

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Any "changing" moles should be looked at, but the word "immediately" means to make an appointment with the dermatologist (it is not life-or-death situation "immediate"). It's scary with the toddlers and little children to have any changes appear on their bodies, and I do think it's a good idea to have it looked at by a doctor.

This question was posted a while ago...I would love to hear what the dermatologist found!

Anonymous

I was just reading to my six year old and noticed he has developed a tiny black mole near his hair line on his forehead, and then counted five more in a curved line down his neck and then in toward his throat. They are all spaced almost exactly apart on his right side. I was concerned that I hadn't noticed these before and am pretty sure they have just appeared. Is it normal for this "pattern" to occur ( almost like along his neck and t-shirt line) or is this something I should be concerned with?
They all look the same color and are small. He has very fair skin, and has been in the sun more since it is summer vacation. The strange "pattern" or line of where they formed is really what I am most concerned about.

Anonymous

I would recommend getting a dermatologist to check and then set a regular regimen of checks. A good dermatologist will likely want to check every year (or more often if you are in the sun belt).

Anonymous

it come out on my boyfriend in 2 days all of a sudden approximate 20 mole's

is this normal for a man 40 years old?
the new moles are black brown.
i am waiting for an answer, please.
Im sorry for my english..
Thank you

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon, are you saying that he's gotten 20 new moles in the last couple of days?

Is he sure that they are all new? Are they all in one area? If so, where?Is it in an area exposed to the sun?

alysiak (reply to Anonymous)

Hi, Anon:

Were you able to make sense of the previous post that contained answers from Dr. Brodell? You didn't say if his skin is fair or dark. The mole might be normal.

Then again, your boyfriend should keep an eye on it. If it changes in color or shape, he would want to have it checked by his doctor.

Anonymous

my daughter 16 a mole appaered from last years holiday it wasnt there before can moles just apear at her age its raised and you can feel it, its on the top of her arm is this anything to worry about?

Have you ever been to a dermatologist for a skin and mole screening?: