ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This year...my shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

Anonymous

This is my 4th post since Nov 2014 when I got my flu shot; same experiences as everyone else here and I went to Primary Doc and then a Neurologist, both said they HAVE heard of this type of injury before but I dont have nerve damage thank god! All said pain should go away within 4 months or so. Well its 5 months later and i am no longer experiencing pain in my upper shoulder/arm region. I hope this post helps, as I thought I wold be injured forever after reading these posts from everyone. Good luck to everyone else here. I feel for you and if the pain doesn't subside definitely file a claim; I did report it also.

I had mine on 29th Oct, so I am in my 6th month and no change to arm pain, still cant reach into the sky with both arms. start Physio end of April, bit more hopeful when have this. doctors wont admit this sort of thing happens, and have said never heard of any cases of this happening.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for posting again, Anon, and especially for filing a report. The more people do this, the better personnel will be trained in administering these shots properly.

Anonymous

I had the flu shot in Sept of 2014 & started having such severe pain in my shoulder it radiated down my arm into my hand & thumb. No pain medication, anti inflammatory or muscle relaxer helped. My doctor didn't think it was from the vaccination. He referred me to an Ortho. Doctor who said the pain could have been from that, however, it usually goes away in 4 days. He order physical therapy. Oddly enough the physical therapist had the same thing happen to him when he was in college. It lasted more then 4 months, same as mine. His was also so intense nothing helped. He lost time going to college because of the pain. I wasn't able to do any simple tasks. Sitting in a chair was so painful because the pain also radiated around the shoulder muscle that I could stand anything against the areas of pain. SIX plus months later and 4 plus weeks, 3 days a week, of physical therapy my arm is getting better but my shoulder is still giving me trouble. I can't do yard work anymore or major house work tasks. I don't think I'll ever get a vaccination again. :(

It is really quite frustrating! I am in the same boat, flu shot in Sept 2014 and now almost 7 months later not any better. I have been to physical therapy, neurology, ortho, pain management and have had EMG studies, an MRI and waiting on a repeat MRI. My first MRI showed intense edema and everyone agrees the shot was given too high up. Nothing has worked. I just got a second RX for Celebrex and a polar care unit to numb my arm with ice so I can get better sleep. I'm trying to be hopeful that this will work, but I don't know that I will see any difference. I have been thinking about filing a claim for vaccine injury.

Yes, please do file the claim. There are too many people that have suffered from improper administration (mine was too high). Mine was in Oct., 2009. I didn't find this site until much later. I did file a claim and settled in 2013. I filed in early 2012. I would have sooner had I known. I still have issues in my shoulder. Never got my full range of motion back. Pain is only in certain motions, but tolerable. So, yes, file that claim. And that goes for the many others posting here.

Anonymous

I had my flu shot Dec 5 2014. My arm was sore immediately after and I figured it would go away in a few days. After 4 months, and 2 weeks of physical therapy it still aches...so much that I can't even lift my are to get a drink from drive thru! I was given exercises to do at home, which I have done even though some are painful. I asked if I just need to work through the pain to get better and was told that I should not be in that much pain. I am at a loss what to do. So many simple things (like taking off a shirt over your head) are extremely painful!

Anonymous

As I continue to read everyones review I see no relief to my suffering I also im seeing a physical therapy and do believe we are being push around by these doctors refusing to see the truth about the flu shots im so tired wish my pain will go away.never going to get another flu shot again

Anonymous

I had my very first flue shot in October, 2014 and I would say in Nov my left arm started to give me troubles. I can not hook my bra at all at the back, I have to bring it to the front and twist it around. I am going through message therapy because my insurance does not cover physical therapy. I am about to see a orthopedic surgeon in a week and see what he says, possibly an MRI but will it really give me an answer? After reading some of these comments, I'm truly wondering. My Parents heard a news report on Channel 13 in Sacramento, but did not pay close attention. I tried looking for the report, but was not successful. This has been the strangest thing, and the pain is getting to me.

Anonymous

Had my flu shot in early November. It was manufactured by a company named Sanofi Pasteur. I was told it was an intradermal injection (just under the skin). I could swear the injection went deep into the muscle. My arm was swollen and feverish for about 6 to 7 weeks. The clinic told me it was normal. No other flu shot I received was ever sore more than a couple days. For about 2 months now I can hardly move my arm... deep upper arm muscle pain. It is at it worse when reaching or lifting. The clinic and Pharmacist bot said they never heard of this before (which I believe is a medical conspiracy) so I told them to look at this web site and both showed no interest.

Flu

Flu Guide

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: