Flu

Flu Guide

ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

By Free2Bme

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This year...my shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

Anonymous

I also got a flu shot Oct 30th. Had it done by my Dr. It didn't hurt. Then at night I couldn't sleep on my left side so I slept on my right side. There were things I couldn't do at the gym after but It wasn't until this past Saturday (on my 50th Birthday dinner) around 7:00 pm that I noticed I couldn't lift my arm up and it started to really hurt. Got home and couldn't sleep all night from the pain. Went to the hospital in the morning. They said it was from the flu shot that I had an infection. I have no bruises and it is NOT swollen. Just severe pain. They gave me a shot of Demerol (which hurt as bad as my arm) after about an hour the pain was still there but not severe. They also put it in a sling and put me on antibiotics 500 mg 4 times a day and Torodol 4 times a day and I have Tylenol #3's at home for my fibromyalgia that I take so I have been taking that as well. The Dr at the hospital said if I don't feel better in 4 days to go back to emergency. Meanwhile I wrapped a heating pad around my arms. I am very nervous and scared.

Anonymous

Anonymous

It's now been a year since my flu shot. I have all the same issues as others here. Pain for any movement reaching above or behind. Also, any jarring movement would stop me in my tracks. I was hoping it would go away on its own but I was having such a problem sleeping I went to an ortho. When I told the nurse I thought it was from my flu shot she laughed and said flu shot pain wouldn't last that long. I had read the posts here and told her that a large number of people are having the same issue and getting the same brush off. No response. I was told by the doc I had a frozen shoulder and that it would go through a painful stage then start to get better but without treatment it could a year or two. I was told to do exercises to use the muscles, get physical therapy, and if necessary get a cortizone shot. When I mentioned the flu shot the doc said people get frozen shoulders for any number of reasons and not to dwell on the cause. The pain has lessened and I can finally roll over at night without having to position my arm a certain way somit doesn't hurt. Hopefully it continues to improve because it has been a nightmare.

Anonymous

I had my flu shot on Oct. 8th & my arm still aches at times. I cannot
lift it to style my hair without some pain. Also, I got my shot at a CVS Drug Store. I find it odd that some of these posts list CVS as their place to receive their shot!?! I think I'll just wait it out. I "think" it's getting better after almost 2 months.

Anonymous

I received my flu shot November 14th and have been in pain since. Tried ice, heat, Tylenol and Advil but it's getting worse not better, has woken me the last 2 nights. Went to the hospital today, had an ultrasound done. Nothing showed up so they told me to take more Advil and try physio. Feel relieved reading everyone's stories (sorry misery loves company) but I don't feel so alone. This has never happened before and I've had flu shots for the past 10 years. I did go to the drugstore for this one and I believe the shot was too high. Will try my family doctor Monday and ask for Prednisone and Naproxen. Thanks!

Anonymous

I no longer get the flu shot because I had horrible pain and weakness in my upper arm and couldn't lift it above the height of my breasts. The pain kept me up at night, the first time it happened for six months, the second nine months. I tried to report it but since I didn't have the specific information from my shots which were given at "flu clinics" the website wouldn't accept it. I'm looking at a career change as I am ostracized for not getting the shot, such a joke as it only protects from two strains which may or may not be the biggies. Another medical money maker, like diabetes and cancer.

Anonymous

I received the flu shot in my left arm on Friday Nov. 14, by Tuesday Nov 18 , I could not lift my arm, reach or turn that arm without severe pain. So far the only thing the nurse said to do was use ice pack and take Tylenol, which as failed to provide relief. I completed and submitted the online CDC form detailing the reaction to the shot.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO, IM THE NOV 19 POST, JUST BEFORE YOUR POST AND I WILL BE FILLING OUT THE CDC FORM AS WELL. I AM SO ANNOYED BY THIS AND I THINK I SHOULD GO TO THE DOCTOR, HAVE YOU AS OF YET?

What is a CDC form?

IF YOU GO TO THE CDC WEBSITE YOU CAN REPORT A VACCINE ADVERSE EVENT (VAERS FORM) I am unsure if what I am experiencing is an adverse reaction or the person that administered the vaccine shot too high on my arm and hit something ( I think the latter) but I thought I should report it as should everyone else because every one thinks I am exaggerating that I got the flu shot and now can barely move my arm after 3 weeks. After reading all these posts obviously there is some sort of issue and the CDC should be aware of it.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: