Flu

Flu Guide

ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

By Free2Bme

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This year...my shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

Anonymous

I'm having similar symptoms. Its affecting my sleep. Its been four days. But is worse at night. I will update of this pain continues.

Anonymous

This is happening to me too. I got the flu shot in October 2014 and not it's January 2015 and my left arm is still hurting. I cannot lift it past my shoulder and at night it wake me up hurting so bad. I am definite going to the doctor this week.

Kerry Harrington Morrison (reply to Anonymous)

Here is my update. Flu shot Oct 26. Arm is still in pain. Cannot lift to take off a t-shirt without excruciating pain. I am offended when doctors say, "well...hmmm...I've never heard of that before." They should peruse this website. I have been on steroids (helped till they wore off), have had an MRI (didn't show anything) and visited my regular doctor and a shoulder specialist on Christmas eve, just hours before I had 12 people showing up for dinner (was that desperate). (I am a person who never goes to the doctor.) Finally went to my trusty chiropractor -- who listens and takes this seriously. She thinks it may be a form of bursitis...not sure how that happens with a shot, but this will take time. I have stopped taking anti-inflammatories, bc I don't think that is good to do ad-infinitum. I am icing the shoulder and trying to stay patient. I wish the media would pick up on this and advise as to whether there is a better way to get a flu shot (how bout in the rear-end)? Based upon what I have experienced, I am loathe to ever allow someone to jab a needle into my arm again.

KatherineMD326 (reply to Kerry Harrington Morrison)

To Kerry Harrington Morrison: I've been posting this information below, since 2011 when I had an adverse reaction to the flu shot, like many who have posted on this blog. The pain you are suffering from is as a result of the flu shot. its an "adverse reaction" and there is another place you can get a flu shot and it is in the "gluteus" area, or you can do the intranasal flu preparations.

Hello Anonymous:
I'm a board certified internist and pediatrician. Over the past several years I got the flu shot however 3yrs ago after getting a flu shot the injection site swelled, I developed a large bruise and then what is called "petechia" at any rate, the pain was so intense my doctor and i thought I may have a "septic joint" but after a CT scan of my shoulder and an MRI, it appeared that I had "acute tendonosis" which is just an "inflamed tendon" in my shoulder. Like you, I had trouble raising my arm and getting dressed. I had to modify how I slept, using a pillow to prop my arm. We tried a litany of medications from steroids to NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs....Motrin, Naproxen, etc....... and even hydrocodone which only helped me sleep.

There is a government program "VAERS" or Vaccine Adverse Event Report at: https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

In order to file a claim, you have to have had symptoms for at least 6 months. Keep track of everyday that you experience pain and/or how it is causing limitations to your everyday work/activities, or if you missed work or had to quit work.

My severe symptoms lasted for 2yrs, and now 3yrs later the pain is very minimal, and the pain has extended to my thumb, I wear a special thumb brace (thumb spicca) purchased at walmart, this splint helped relieve the pain by immobilizing movement, and after a few days, my thumb would be fine for another 1 -2 wks, then back wearing the splint.

UPDATE as of January 2015:

On 12/30/2014, I received a check for $92,000.00 from the Dept HHS as compensation for wha I had experienced, and still am experiencing from the flu shot! I don't get flu shots EVER!!

Anonymous

I had the flu shot 3 weeks ago and my left arm still feels like someone punched me. My question is will this pain ever go away and if it eventually does how long can it take. Is there any remedy to speed up the healing.

TJ

I had the flu shot Nov. 4 2014, I did not feel it when the nurse gave me the shot, but about 15 Min. after leaving the Dr. office my arm started hurting so bad I thought it was swelling, that night the pain woke me up and OMG I have never felt pain like that. I have trouble lifting my left arm I have trouble getting my shirt off, But I've noticed the pain is worse at night when I lay down. It wakes me up & the pain is so bad I have to get up. I will "Never" have another flu shot..

Anonymous

I too have constant pain in my arm that I got my flu shot in. It has been about 6 weeks since my flu shot. I didn't start feeling the constant pain until about two weeks ago. I also had a flu shot before and never experienced this. Bad batch of flu shots this year????

Anonymous

What's going? I got my flu shot in October 2014 and it's January 9 2015 and my arm where I had my flu shot hurts like crazy. The Medical field has to know about this side affect and should tell us how long to expect this pain or what to do!

Anonymous

I got the flu shot about 6 or 7 weeks ago and I still have pain. I never put it together that it was the flu shot. I thought I had dislocated my shoulder. We have had a lot of the grandkids around and thought I hurt it that way. Couldn't stand the pain anymore and thought maybe it is still from my flu shot! To my surprise I couldn't believe all the others that are having so much pain. So I'm really not a big Doctor's fan so I will just tough it out. At least I'm sure what it is now.

Anonymous

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?:

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window