Flu

Flu Guide

ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

By Free2Bme

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This year...my shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

Anonymous

As I continue to read everyones review I see no relief to my suffering I also im seeing a physical therapy and do believe we are being push around by these doctors refusing to see the truth about the flu shots im so tired wish my pain will go away.never going to get another flu shot again

Anonymous

I had my very first flue shot in October, 2014 and I would say in Nov my left arm started to give me troubles. I can not hook my bra at all at the back, I have to bring it to the front and twist it around. I am going through message therapy because my insurance does not cover physical therapy. I am about to see a orthopedic surgeon in a week and see what he says, possibly an MRI but will it really give me an answer? After reading some of these comments, I'm truly wondering. My Parents heard a news report on Channel 13 in Sacramento, but did not pay close attention. I tried looking for the report, but was not successful. This has been the strangest thing, and the pain is getting to me.

Anonymous

Had my flu shot in early November. It was manufactured by a company named Sanofi Pasteur. I was told it was an intradermal injection (just under the skin). I could swear the injection went deep into the muscle. My arm was swollen and feverish for about 6 to 7 weeks. The clinic told me it was normal. No other flu shot I received was ever sore more than a couple days. For about 2 months now I can hardly move my arm... deep upper arm muscle pain. It is at it worse when reaching or lifting. The clinic and Pharmacist bot said they never heard of this before (which I believe is a medical conspiracy) so I told them to look at this web site and both showed no interest.

Anonymous

I'm so concerned now that i have read all of your comments. Unlike you who went to get the shot by your own means, I had to get it because it was one of the vaccines required by the government when filing for your residency . I had never had the shot before, I never really got sick. My husband is totally against getting vaccines that the government imposes on you. So when i was told I needed it, I thought "oh well so many people get it, what could happen? " But I had to keep it a secret Now i regret it because my shoulder started to hurt last week and my Husband thinks I pulled a muscle . I know I didn't, the pain is exactly where the pharmacist gave me the shot (upper shoulder) and it feels like a stab every time I want to lift it. It really hurts on the rainy days. I agree with having the medical field tell us how long I'd the pain going to last for or if there is any permanent damage. let's hope we all get better.

it really is horrible. I recieved my shot oct 22. still in a ton of pain. was put on naproxen which helps a bit. but like now ... the Rx ran out and I'm back to square one. my dr suggested physical therapy ...
I heard that after 6 months of pain you can report it to the CDC because there actually is a segment dedicated to vaccination injuries. wasn't planning on feeling so bad 6 months later but I'm well on my way there sadly. good luck. oh and yeah my dr didn't really believe me because she's "never heard of such a thing " and usually says "oh it still hurts? yeah ... I'm sorry... you need to just wait it out..." grr.
I just can't believe they haven't mentioned any of this on the news or anything ....

Anonymous

I'm having similar symptoms. Its affecting my sleep. Its been four days. But is worse at night. I will update of this pain continues.

Anonymous

This is happening to me too. I got the flu shot in October 2014 and not it's January 2015 and my left arm is still hurting. I cannot lift it past my shoulder and at night it wake me up hurting so bad. I am definite going to the doctor this week.

Kerry Harrington Morrison (reply to Anonymous)

Here is my update. Flu shot Oct 26. Arm is still in pain. Cannot lift to take off a t-shirt without excruciating pain. I am offended when doctors say, "well...hmmm...I've never heard of that before." They should peruse this website. I have been on steroids (helped till they wore off), have had an MRI (didn't show anything) and visited my regular doctor and a shoulder specialist on Christmas eve, just hours before I had 12 people showing up for dinner (was that desperate). (I am a person who never goes to the doctor.) Finally went to my trusty chiropractor -- who listens and takes this seriously. She thinks it may be a form of bursitis...not sure how that happens with a shot, but this will take time. I have stopped taking anti-inflammatories, bc I don't think that is good to do ad-infinitum. I am icing the shoulder and trying to stay patient. I wish the media would pick up on this and advise as to whether there is a better way to get a flu shot (how bout in the rear-end)? Based upon what I have experienced, I am loathe to ever allow someone to jab a needle into my arm again.

Anonymous (reply to Kerry Harrington Morrison)

Omg, cant believe how many people reporting this, i had mine at work oct 29th 2014, and still in agony, i train a lot and am restricted to what this arm can do, reading all these reveiws, and no one seems to have suggestions or help, on how to overcome it. i got doctors appt friday, but am wondering what he going say.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: