Flu

Flu Guide

ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

By Free2Bme

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This year...my shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

Anonymous

I'm having the a horrible pain in shoulder and arm 8 days after flu shot. I'm surprised a lot of people are experiencing this too. I felt warming in my arm as it was administered and it got worse. With past shots I forget about them later that day, not this one.....when will it get better and why is it so painful this year?

I wish I knew why it was so painful! It's horrible! I've been suffering for almost 6 weeks now! I've been to the doctor three times and still don't have any answers! I'm waiting on a referral to a neurologist to see if I have nerve damage now. I feel silly, but I know this isn't normal!

Anonymous

It's been two days since my shot and my shoulder is killing me. It's really hard to move my arm and I couldn't hardly sleep last night.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I really did not expect to find so many others that are experiencing this pain the same as mine. I got a free flu shot at my church on Oct. 4. The needle did not hurt going in but I sure felt the medicine. The administer of the shot gave me a large dose because he said my muscle was between a small/large dose and gave it high on my shoulder. I told my husband he had hurt me and of course he laughed. After reading much on the Web I now believe that he truly did injury my shoulder administering this vaccine. It really hurts to lift my arm or rotate my shoulder (left) to any degree. I sure hope it gets better with time.

Anonymous

I'm experiencing the same problem. I had the Fluarix quadrivalent vaccine 2 weeks ago, and my arm still itches/hurts. I've never has this problem in the past with the trivalent version. I think there may be something wrong with this formula.

Anonymous

i got my flu shot yesterday and my arm is sore ! i was asleep for 5 hours yesterday because it hurt so bad !

Anonymous

On Oct. 6th I received a tetanus shot and flu shot in the same part of my left arm and expected it to be sore for a couple of days. It's now two weeks later and my arm is still in constant pain at the injection spot and through my shoulder and down my arm. I called my Dr. and was told to ice it 3 times a day and take 600 mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day. This does seen to help a little but the pain is still there and when ever I don't take the pain reliever it's really bad. It hurts to sleep, it hurts to raise my arm and really use it for anything. I'm so disappointed that this happened because going in for my check up I was fine.

Anonymous

I received my flu shot on October 2nd and my arm is still hurting 17 days later. It's hard for me to sleep and pick up my arm without pain. I'm wishing now that I didn't get but I thought I was doing a good thing for myself. I'm paying the price for it now! I'm amazed on many people are experiencing the same issue. Very scary!

Anonymous

I found this when I Googled "Shoulder pain after flu shot". I got a flu shot at a clinic at work nearly 4 weeks ago. The shot was given high in my shoulder with the needle pointing down. As the shot was being given, I got a strange sensation in my arm and made a face noticed by others waiting in line. There was no pain at the actual injection site, but there was discomfort further down my upper arm. I could barely use my arm the rest of that day. And it's just gotten worse since then. I have lost range of motion in my arm. I can't lift it to wash my hair or pull a shirt over my head. I can get just so far before feeling a sharp pain. I am unable to sleep with my arm under my head. I hadn't gotten a flu shot for many years, but though I should since I have developed an auto-immune issue. I have very little meat on my arms, so I don't know if the tech hit a nerve or what, but I've never felt pain like this.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: