ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This year...my shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

Anonymous

I didn't have the flu shot... I had a B12 shot. I knew immediately when she gave me the shot something didn't feel right. I know shots r supposed to be sore but... OMG... it has been 6 wks and my arm/sholder/neck still hurt. Not as bad, (thank god) at first I couldn't move my arm up over my head, I couldn't even raise my elbow to eye level. I couldn't sleep, spent a wk on the couch. I cant use my arm like I could before, I cant grip as well as before..it's kind of scaring me...

Anonymous

Anonymous

I had my flu jab in September 2014 and we are now in May and the pain and restricted movement in the injected arm is interfering with everyday life all the doctors say it is not related?

Anonymous

I had my flu shot Yesterday and it was painless. But with in 4-5 hours arm became painful and tis pain is slowly going away today. I am wondering why the injection has to be so high up 1-2 inches from shoulder and more towards back than front of arm?

I never had any reaction of this pain, is the vaccination different this year? It makes we wonder.

Richard

Anonymous

This is my 4th post since Nov 2014 when I got my flu shot; same experiences as everyone else here and I went to Primary Doc and then a Neurologist, both said they HAVE heard of this type of injury before but I dont have nerve damage thank god! All said pain should go away within 4 months or so. Well its 5 months later and i am no longer experiencing pain in my upper shoulder/arm region. I hope this post helps, as I thought I wold be injured forever after reading these posts from everyone. Good luck to everyone else here. I feel for you and if the pain doesn't subside definitely file a claim; I did report it also.

i had the shot nov 12 2014.. at the end of nov started getting pain in my shoulder then went to my neck. it cracks and makes noises when i turn my head i couldn't sleep, could barely hold my head up during the day .. its now may i have lots of swelling still, its not eased up and its affecting my life big time. i couldn't think what i had done to cause this problem . i moved so i thought because i slept on the pull out couch for a week and did some painting that it might be that , i also work in the deli so repetitive slicer action might irritate it. used heat, cold, chiropractor, massage, pain killers , doctors, trying acupuncture now, but its been going on 7 months .. sooo frustrated does any one else had the pain spread to their neck.? Its hard to work when you cant sleep properly and are in pain all the time. I have had the flu shot lots before , no problems .

I had mine on 29th Oct, so I am in my 6th month and no change to arm pain, still cant reach into the sky with both arms. start Physio end of April, bit more hopeful when have this. doctors wont admit this sort of thing happens, and have said never heard of any cases of this happening.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for posting again, Anon, and especially for filing a report. The more people do this, the better personnel will be trained in administering these shots properly.

Anonymous

I had the flu shot in Sept of 2014 & started having such severe pain in my shoulder it radiated down my arm into my hand & thumb. No pain medication, anti inflammatory or muscle relaxer helped. My doctor didn't think it was from the vaccination. He referred me to an Ortho. Doctor who said the pain could have been from that, however, it usually goes away in 4 days. He order physical therapy. Oddly enough the physical therapist had the same thing happen to him when he was in college. It lasted more then 4 months, same as mine. His was also so intense nothing helped. He lost time going to college because of the pain. I wasn't able to do any simple tasks. Sitting in a chair was so painful because the pain also radiated around the shoulder muscle that I could stand anything against the areas of pain. SIX plus months later and 4 plus weeks, 3 days a week, of physical therapy my arm is getting better but my shoulder is still giving me trouble. I can't do yard work anymore or major house work tasks. I don't think I'll ever get a vaccination again. :(

It is really quite frustrating! I am in the same boat, flu shot in Sept 2014 and now almost 7 months later not any better. I have been to physical therapy, neurology, ortho, pain management and have had EMG studies, an MRI and waiting on a repeat MRI. My first MRI showed intense edema and everyone agrees the shot was given too high up. Nothing has worked. I just got a second RX for Celebrex and a polar care unit to numb my arm with ice so I can get better sleep. I'm trying to be hopeful that this will work, but I don't know that I will see any difference. I have been thinking about filing a claim for vaccine injury.

Flu

Flu Guide

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: