ask: Is it normal for my arm muscle in my shoulder to hurt 2 weeks after flu shot?

I was happy to receive the flu shot this year, as I feel like it's "doing my part" to stop the spread of the influenza virus. Plus, any inoculation that can either prevent, or lessen the symptoms, of flu is motivation to me!

I've received the flu shot annually, for the past 10 years. I have the typical soreness at site, possibly a little tired that evening. But that's it.

This shoulder muscle (at the site of the injection) is still painful, so much that I can't move my arm forward at shoulder-level, or lift my arm up over my head, without a sharp pain in that one muscle. If my arm is still, it does not hurt. It is affecting my sleep, as I am confined to sleeping on only my right side (it is my left arm that hurts).

Are there any other reports of this flu shot symptom? Did I just not move my arm enough after the shot (kind of "favored it"), or is there something else wrong??

I've gotten the flu shot for the last three years. Last year I got I got my shot in October and in December I got full fledged flu. I saw on the news that there were a lot of complaints that the vaccine wasn't strong enough. I just got this year's flu shot four days ago and I never felt so bad my arm and shoulders hurt I even fill ache all over like I've been injected with the flu. This is the first time that I feel bad after getting flu shot. On the news they said this year's vacine would be much stronger.

Earlier this year I reported severe arm pain from a flu shot last February. It persists and in fact seems to be worse. 8 months now. The pain is so bad I cannot sleep on that side, bend my arm behind my back or raise it above my shoulder. Sometimes I forget and make a movement that is rewarded with excruciating pain that slowly subsides. When I mention this to people they seem disinterested and often defensive, thinking I am attacking vaccines. I do not think they can know the sort of pain which I am trying to explain to them. The one person who has shown interest is a person at work who has put me on to a sports physiotherapist. I will try him to see if there is improvement. Regardless I will never have a flu shot again and certainly not while my arm is in this condition.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. The thought is that the needle hit a nerve and cause the shoulder to freeze up. It is called frozen shoulder. The ONLY way I was able to resolve the condition was to use my arm as much as possible even to the point of extreme pain.

To give you encouragement, I had my left shoulder frozen for almost 2 years. I didn't start working it until a year into the problem (which made it harder to resolve) but once I did, it took me about a year to get my shoulder back to about 80%. It has been a few years now and I am 100% recovered

Well it was my first time taking the flu shot and my arm hurts so bad my arm is hot like I have a fever and I have a big red not on my arm since I took the flu shot I been feeling tried and my head been hurting omg what this means

I had this happen with a different vaccine. I saw a doctor who told me the nurse didn't stick the needle deep enough and that I was having a localized reaction. He gave me pain killers and antibiotics.

Last dec 2014 I had flu shot. Arm hurt for six months. Had a cortisone shot after doctor said I had bursitis. He said 4 other patients complained because of flu shot. 9 months later pain is gone. Never again. I would get the shot in my hip the next time

Just received the flu shot in doctors office and my arm is extremely painful. I can't raise it up. Immediately when I got the shot I knew something was wrong it hurt very much and I reported it to the nurse. She was unconcerned. If it persists I will call the doctor. I can't move my arm and I am in extreme pain.

I always have pain in my shoulder/muscles after flu shots. I hate getting them because of it! This year we are living with my mom who has cancer and I have no choice. I found this website to report issues from the flu shot! If we all report it maybe something will be done!

Flu shot October 2014 - pain in arm and should still present as of today 6/2/2015.

Doctor sending for MRI after X-ray showed nothing and cortisone shot did not touch pain.

I conceded a flu shot this year because my doctor is soooo insistent. Had my pharmacist give the shot 4 months ago. Since then certain arm movements requiring use of muscle at injection site are very painful. Not improving and living with it. But find it restricting my ability to do things I normally do. And throwing something like a baseball is impossible. I will never have a flu shot again. Right now my big concern is it will never get better.

Flu Guide

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: