Its it side effects of the Plan B Pill or possibility I might be pregnant

By February 12, 2010 - 10:57am

My Nick Name is MJ. I got my period on January 31,2010 and my period last about 6 or 7days long. My periods are regular. While having my period, my partner and I had sex on February 4, 2010(Thursday) a round 2:30 pm and condom broke. Then I got worry so much bc Friday morning my period started to finish so i started to panic and at 8 am. I took the Plan B one step pill. Now a week later. February 11, went I went to wipe my self I had brownish spoting as if my period was starting but its the second day and Im spotting and Im scare if im pregnant or its the side effects of the pill. I do feel bloated as if my period is coming but my period should come until February 26-27. i have not yet taken an EPT bc its was just last week my period end before taking the Plan B pill. Im really scare. and i been panicing. Please help. Can i be pregnant or the side effects of the bill. And is it too early to have a pregnancy test down to make sure for a fact Im not preganant or can it be something else?? Please help. I been stressng alot, Thank you so mucn.

Hi Tinkerbell

Trust me, I know the panic of taking a pregnancy test (or the wait) when you are not ready for a baby.

A two week vacation goes by in a flash, a two week wait for a pregnancy test might as well be about two months long, it can be agonizing. And someone telling you not to stress can be annoying because it's STRESSFUL!

The spotting from Plan B is one of the most common side effects so that's a good thing!

We don't promise anything but there's a pretty good chance you'll have some "negative" news for us on the 25th! Mother Nature can be a tricky one, in terms of pregnancy.

I look forward to hearing from you after the 25th!

Thank Susan!
My questions were responed clearly and thank you for calming me down a little! I'm still just a lIttle scare bc I have to wait and I'm anxious to know the final result! The spotting can definatly be from the plan b pill bc I have read online it is one of the side affects and you confirming it also that the pill has a the side affect of spotting it does help calm down :-) I hope for the best as well! Thank you so much for your understanding on this issue! Glad I was able to get an answer that is guiding me to less panicing! Thank you! I will do the ept on the 25th to give the final update! Plus the brownish spotting is leaving and don't have as much .. Hope it's a good sign !! Thanks !

Hi Tinkerbell-

It is too early to check for pregnancy - you'll need to wait until you are 3-5 days away from your expected period.

Plan B can upset a woman's cycle the month after she takes it (only that month - not subsequent months) and spotting can be a side effect on Plan B.

Please don't panic - Plan B can be effective at preventing pregnancy - but should not be used as regular birth control and it offers no guarantees.

Having sex during your period is one of your safest times because it means you are not ovulating. However, we can't offer any assurance that you are not pregnant. Just bear in mind your risk is very low.

You can take a test around February 23/24 and you should be able to get a confirmation by then or certainly around the 26th. I know it's a tough wait, but as of now, we cannot detect pregnancy any earlier.

We wish you the very best. Will you update us?