I've been married 6 month but I can't do sex because the fear of pain I am so much worried because I want to make my husband happy but I am helpless. My married life is so disturb kindly tell me what should I do?

By October 8, 2016 - 5:02am

Hi Ayeshakhan!

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns.

Genophobia, also known as coitophobia, is the fear of sexual intercourse. People with this fear may be afraid of all sex acts, or only of intercourse itself.

Like all phobias, genophobia is most likely to develop after a severe trauma. Rape and molestation are the most common triggers for genophobia, and cultural upbringing and religious teachings may also increase the risk for this fear. Genophobia is sometimes linked to insecurities or body image issues, as well as medical concerns.

Genophobia is often treated by sex therapists, who are mental health professionals with advanced training and certification in sexual matters. However, most cases of genophobia can also be treated by traditional therapists without the additional certification. Furthermore, those who experience pain or other medical difficulties during intercourse should seek advice from a medical doctor.