Measles makes a comeback?

I remember last year, when mumps cases were springing up among the college -age population, into epidemic proportions. Those most effected were students who had not received the mumps vaccine.

Now, I read measles is making a comeback, primarily in individuals who are not vaccinated with the MMR vaccine. NPR ran a great story about this phenomenon, and how devastating the disease can be (especially to infants under 1 years of age, and children whose immune systems are compromised or suppressed).

Not to get into a debate on vaccinations, what do you think of the measles outbreak? So far there have been 131 cases (three times the number reported last year), according to NPR article.

This is scary to me, as my son is not even two years old! Does anyone remember, or have family, who lived through any of the measles epidemic? NYT reports: Measles was once an "uncontrolled scourge" and infected three million to four million Americans annually. the typical rash and fever were most common, but complications include pneumonia and encephalitis (inflammation of brain tissue). "In bad epidemic years, some 48,000 Americans were hospitalized, 1,000 more were chronically disabled, and 400 to 500 died".

What do you think of this?

Also reported in New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/opinion/24sun2.html

Hi Alison!

I actually wrote about this a few days ago. Measles is indeed making a comeback but in minute doses. In a country of 300 million, a few hundred cases is a mere blip on the radar but since it's a contagious disease, that blip can become a lot more, and pretty quickly.

Like you, I have small kids and would hate to see them succumb to this.

A lot of doctors are blaming parents who are not immunizing their children for fear of the link of autism and vaccinations.

Other parents assume that if other children are vaccinated, their non=-vaccinated children will be ok. A trickle down effect.

Let's remember how dangerous measles is to unborn children, also.

As an aside - I got vaccinated against measles and got them anyway.

Measles Guide