I had surgical menopause at the age of 27. I somehow managed to survive over 20 years of hot flashes with sporatic HRT. My flashes stopped 5 years ago but returned a month ago with a vengence. I feel like I did immediately after the surgery, it is almost impossible. I was diagnosed with a solid mass on my adrenal gland two years ago and I was tested. Everything came out OK. I had to go to my PCP today and he said that I need to have the adrenal glands tested again. I am feeling very discouraged and the emotional roller coaster I am on with the flashes isn't helping.
Is it common for flashes to go away and return?

Hey, CDF,
Just wanted to say how sorry I am that you're dealing with this. I have a good friend who also had a hysterectomy-induced menopause earlier in life and then when she hit a more traditional menopause age, she almost went through the whole thing again. What she was eventually diagnosed with was estrogen dominance, and by getting her HRT changed to help oppose her estrogen, she made a lot of progress. Especially with the emotional ups and downs.

In addition to having your adrenal levels tested again, have they tested all your hormonal levels? And have they tested your thyroid levels?

Dear cdf

You have been through a lot while so young! I'm sorry to read that your symptoms are returning - I can imagine how worrisome and frustrating it is. In addition, the symptoms of menopause after surgical menopause are often more severe than natural menopause.

Hot flashes can return. It depends on many factors, including medication (former and current as well as possible drug interactions), hormonal levels, and other health factors that are not directly linked to "traditional" menopause.

Has anything changed in the past one or two months? Medication changes or health changes?

Malfunction in your adrenal glands can cause your symptoms (since they secrete hormones) as can your thyroid - you may want to get your thyroid checked too.

Once you get these levels checked, you'll be able to work from there.

Please read our article and thread called "Fatigue, Adrenals and Hot Flashes" - I think it'll help you realize you are not alone! Tell what you think of it. Do you find anything there that applies to you? http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/07/22/fatigue-adrenals-and-hot-flashes

I really hope that you can get to the bottom of what's causing the resurgence of your hot flashes. Will you update us?

Hot Flashes