Menstrual Cycle Issues

By August 6, 2013 - 10:41am

I have had ovarian cysts for a while now. They were very painful. It was very unbearable to the point where I couldn't walk. Every once in a while I get scans to check the area because I have a family history of Ovarian Cancer. My last scan was about 5 months ago, it came back clear. The cysts had ruptured. Which has been happening for about 6 years now.
I realized that I haven't had pain for the past few months though, which is definitely a relief for me. But now I have noticed that I now have a shorter cycle and the period flow is always a dark brown, nearly black. Any ideas on what could have caused the change?

Hi trinity17

Thanks for your post.

Blood red when it reaches oxygen but turns black/brown when exposed to the air for some time.

Is the blood fresh and still black/brown? Brown blood also indicates old blood - this can often happen at the beginning and end of a period. Is your blood brown/black at all times?

Your cysts could still be an issue here.

I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about this.

It has been brown from beginning to end for the past few months. And its only for around 2 to 3 days at max..
Sadly my lack of insurance limits how many doctors visits I can make. Since I have to pay out of pocket

HERWriter Guide (reply to trinity17)

Hi trinity17

I'm sorry about your lack of insurance. I know well how that affects people and their health decisions; it's a terrible thing.

However, there are many free clinics that can take care of women's reproductive help - you can find them here: http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx

Planned Parenthood can offer you the same services.