Milky white discharge?

Sometimes I get a milky white discharge from my vagina, and I was wondering if this is normal? It's not painful or itchy, but it sometimes has an unpleasant smell and comes in heavy amounts, with has an egg white consistency. I usually get it either in the week leading up to or after my period, but it usually goes away, varying in the amount of time I have it from a couple days to about a week. I haven't had sex so I'm thinking it's not an STI, but could it be another infection of some kind? And if so why does it keep coming and going? If this isn't a normal thing, how should I treat it? Any help would be very appreciated, thank you.

Thanks for your post, we have been asked this a lot on EmpowHER! 

There is nothing wrong with this at all, it's called cervical mucus and is part of a woman's reproductive system. 

It is thicker mid month when you are ovulating but can be present for women at all times. As you mentioned about "coming and going" - our cycle changes every week so this is why it does this.

It is generally odorless (like you said yours is) and is not a sign of infection or that anything is wrong - it's more a sign that things are right! 

This will explain even more to you: http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/dont-discount-your-discharge

Has this helped you to understand this more?