Missed 2 Yaz pills in week 3, followed dr's orders...but?

By Anonymous February 12, 2010 - 1:16pm

Hey :). First of all, I know that there's no way for me to know if I'm pregnant until I take a test, but it's too early right now and I just wanted other people's thoughts.

I missed a pill on Tuesday night and also on Wednesday night (STUPID. Ugh. I NEVER have done that. Also, we had unprotected sex on Tues. night.) - and these pills were in Week 3 of my Yaz pack. I'm not a Sunday starter, I'm a Day One starter, so the directions on the website say:

"If you miss two (2) active pills (pink) in a row in Week 3 or Week 4 of your pack:

If you are a Day 1 Starter: THROW OUT the rest of the pill pack and start a new pack that same day."

HOWEVER, before I saw this on the website, I went ahead and took both of the pills I missed, and then that night (Thurs.) I took Thursday's pill at my regular time. I called Yaz to ask them what I should do since I was apparently supposed to throw the pack away but took the pills. They advised me to call my doc. My doctor told me to just continue taking the rest of the pack as usual (she didn't tell me to skip my period or not, but I think I'm going to, just to keep the hormones in my system).

The fact that Yaz operates in 3 ways to prevent pregnancy (prevention of ovulation, thickening of cervical mucus, and thickening of uterine lining), combined with the fact that my mom had a hard time getting pregnant so genetically I might have a hard time as well, I THINK I'm probably okay...

...I just wanted some thoughts. I think I need to wait for at least a week to take a pregnancy test, so until then all I can do is try not to obsess/worry, and use a back-up method of birth control.

Same thing happened to me, I forgot 2 pills in a row on sat and sun in week 3 and I'm also not a Sunday starter so I just went ahead and took the 2 missed on Monday morning(me and hubby had dex Sunday night) and then took the Monday pill normal time at 1pm. I have been bleeding since then and don't start the white pill for a couple of days...so this thread was a bit helpful, now I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant either.but I will take a test to make sure :)

Well yay for you! We love to hear these happy updates! Congrats!

And no more missed pills, young lady! It's not worth the worry.

Have a great weekend - I suspect you will, especially now!

Hey - update: Not pregnant! My period came last night and it's definitely not spotting, so no concerns about it being implantation bleeding. Thank you so much again for all the thoughts!

It does make sense!

Our pill cycle is based on our menstrual cycle. We only need to take active pills for 21 days a month (just like in our natural cycle we have no bleeding about 21 days of the month and then 4-7 days of bleeding) which adds up to an average of 28 days in our cycle.

Now while a woman can technically get pregnant at any time (we can unexpectedly ovulate really early/really late in a month) when off the Pill, this doesn't happen when when she is on the Pill because ovulation is prevented through the dual pill (estrogen and progesterone) that you take. So the 7 days break is perfectly normal since that's what our bodies normally do without the Pill. We are following our natural cycle but using artificial means to do so.

Hope that explains things!

I hope you can help me then. I missed 2 active pills in the 4th week of my yaz pack. Since you say I only need to take 21 pills, I'm good? I can just wait until Sunday and then start my new pack?

It depends on what kind of dosage you are on and if you are on a Sunday start or start on the first day of your period. It's better to check with your paperwork that comes with the pill or even better - call your pharmacist.

As I have said before, missing two pills is ok IF you make them up as prescribed. Missing three pills is never ok and a new pack needs to be started. 

Yes, I think it does - thank you! I'll be sure to update over here at the end of the week.
Initially I thought I would go straight into my next pack of Yaz and skip my period (to keep the hormones in my system and avoid further risk of pregnancy), but I was thinking that it's probably unnecessary, since my husband and I have to use a back-up form of contraception anyway and we haven't had unprotected sex since Tuesday (the first night I missed my pills)... so if I was going to get pregnant, it would have happened from that night.

Does that sound like an okay idea? I'm open to suggestions :-p

Not exactly :-p. Sorry. I know that placebos don't contain any hormones and are basically sugar pills. My question is (if this makes sense): Why can a woman essentially "skip" 4 active pills while taking the placebos and not have to worry about getting pregnant, but if she misses one or more active pills anywhere in the pack, she CAN get pregnant?

Did that make sense?

Unfortunately, there aren't too many thoughts to offer other than what the pill manufacturer told you (and good for you for contacting them) and for talking to your doctor.

I'm not too sure about your mothers difficulty in getting pregnant with you being a correlation to your potential in getting pregnant. It may or may not be genetic since there are literally dozens of reasons for pregnancy to be difficult to achieve for some. Does she know what the reasons may have been? In future, if you do wish to have a family, you may want to know of any genetic obstacles.

Since you are following directions correctly, as you said, all you can do is play the waiting game, I'm afraid; we can't give you odds or percentages in terms of your pregnancy risks. I wish you the best (and that you get the result you want!) and don't forget that condoms are a woman's best friend when missing doses. Always have a few in your purse/pocket, just in case. Good luck to you!

Will you keep us updated?

Hi - it's me again :).
Semi-off-topic question: But why is it that you can safely take the 4 placebo pills in Yaz and not get pregnant, but if you miss one or two pills anywhere else in the pack, you could get pregnant? That has never made sense to me. Some women get pregnant from missing ONE pill, yet taking the placebo pills (which is essentially the same as "missing" 4 pills) is safe. Do you know why?