MMR Vaccine

By October 3, 2011 - 9:52am

My twins are now 13 years old. They've received their MMR vaccine on schedule when they were younger (around 15 months and then at 5-6 yrs). The school insists on giving them a booster shot again this week. Is this OK? Is this not over-dosing?

@princessandsprout: Thank you for that information! Was not aware of this.
Best Regards

Something you could do too, is have their titers checked.

Elizabeth Cohen, senior medical correspondent for CNN's Health, Medical and Wellness unit suggests checking titers. This involves a simple blood test to measure antibodies for various shots.

Because of how old your kids are, there is probably a really good chance that they have built up natural immunity, in which case, their titers would measure high. If this is so, the booster may not be deemed necessary.

Hi Mamta

If your children had the MMR as toddlers and again as first graders (approximately) then I don't know why they need it again at the age of 13. I didn't have a third shot, nor has anyone I know.

Unless there is a legitimate reason (regarding their particular circumstances, in conjunction with your and their doctor's recommendations) there should be no need. As a parent, I would not allow it simply because it's a school rule, but that's my own personal stance on things. Maybe something has changed that I am not aware of, however.

I would put a call into their doctor about this- it's good to have another opinion. And trust your own instinct.

Measles Guide