My checkup a couple of weeks ago came up with .3 blood in my blood test for my urine

My Dr. didn't address this at the time but when I looked at my printout it was there. I called him and through his secretary she told me he wasn't concerned because I'd had an ultrasound and I have gallstones which I've had for a few years. Should I follow up on this myself by further tests or could the gallstones really be the reason?

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns.

While finding blood in your urine may be alarming, oftentimes, it is not an indication of a serious issue. Blood that is visible in urine, which indicates the presence of red blood cells, is referred to as gross hematuria. In such cases, the urine often appears pinkish, red, or brown (the color of cola or tea). Small blood clots may also be visible.

It’s important to note that the amount of blood in the urine is not indicative of the seriousness of the condition. Urinary blood that is visible only under a microscope is known as microscopic hematuria.

There are many potential causes of blood in the urine, some much more serious than others. Potential causes that implicate the kidney and/or urinary tract include an injury to the bladder or kidney or a recent urinary tract procedure, such as catheterization, circumcision, surgery or a kidney biopsy.

Other kidney or urinary causes include inflammation of the bladder, urethra, prostate or kidney, or kidney failure. Painful blood in the urine can be caused by a number of disorders, including infections and stones in the urinary tract. Painless blood in the urine can also be due to many causes, including but not limited to, cancer.

Another possible cause of blood in urine involves blood disorders such as hemophilia, low platelets, sickle cell disease or a blood clot in the kidneys. In addition, patients who take certain medications (including blood thinners) may find blood in urine.

Although some potential causes may be innocuous, blood in the urine should never be ignored. Anyone who experiences blood in urine that is accompanied by fever, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, shaking chills, burning sensation when urinating, and/or pain in the abdomen, side, or back should contact a health care provider immediately.

Also, contact a doctor immediately if blood in urine is accompanied by other certain other symptoms including passing blood clots in the urine, inability to urinate, urine dribbling, frequent urination or difficulty starting your urinary flow.

Anon, are you feeling any other symptoms like the ones above? If you begin to, make sure to call your doctor.

I think it's fine to seek a second opinion. While you doctor may be right - and this is nothing to worry about (my reply to you includes many reasons for blood in urine, none of them may be relevant in your case), if you find that a second opinion will give you peace of mind, by all means seek one.

I hope this has helped,

Blood in Urine

Blood in Urine Guide

Guide