My husband have a glyoblastoma multiforme and he is in the process of treatment.Is he able to fly ?

By April 22, 2011 - 1:57pm

He had surgery last december 8th,then he went for temodar and radiation for 45 days. Now he is in a clinical trial and on temodar 5 days a month.Last MRI was stable,but we want to go to Italy for 2 weeks next month and I am a little nervous about the flight and if can harm him.I appreciate your opinion.Thankyou.

Hi eleonorh

Thanks for your post and welcome! I'm so sorry to read of your husbands diagnosis.

Whether he can travel or not will be up to his doctors and you both. Traveling on planes can cause sickness (as we all know) and if his immune system is very low, he may become susceptible to infection. You will need to be fully prepared (in terms of his medications and an Emergency Plan if you go) and make sure your doctors know where you will be.

On a positive note, the Italian health care system is really quite good and healthcare is free (although how that would work for a non Italian/non European citizen is something you'd have to check into).

As you know, his kind of cancer is very serious. How's his outlook, have you been told?
A trip to Italy could be the most wonderful thing for him (and you!) but if it may impact recovery, obviously he shouldn't go. I'm not sure how to say this and I hope you realize I'm being very compassionate, but if his prognosis is poor then he might really want to go and fulfill this dream (if it's something he has always wanted to do or perhaps he wants to go back to Europe). It's ironic, I guess, but I know that if I had a not-so-great prognosis, I wouldn't throw caution to wind all the time, but your darn right I'd see some of my dreams come true!

But that's all worst case scenario - if he's feeling good and responding well to treatment, he could be well into recovery in no time.

So the bottom line is that we cannot tell you if this kind of vacation would be safe. That's a family decision along with medical advice.

I hope this helps a little. If you do go, have a wonderful time and make a ton of memories!
My best to you and your husband,

Brain Cancer

Brain Cancer Guide