My mother has been diagnosed with pleurisy

By Anonymous February 4, 2011 - 11:00am

My mother also has rheumatoid arthritis. She is having a really difficult time breathing and has been on antibiotics for 2 weeks. Is there something else we should be worried about or is this going to be hard to get over because of the R.A.? I am really worried about her, she has no energy and is not eating well.

Thanks for your question and for looking out for your mother. I'm sorry she's dealing with with pleurisy on top of her RA.

How old is your mom? Older people take longer to recover from illnesses and I'm sure the effects of RA (including pain and fatigue) will not help either. Pleurisy in itself can be very painful to recover from. I hope her antibiotics kick in very soon.

Since recovery can be hard (for anyone but particularly those with compromised immune systems or in older age) it's impossible for us to know if there is another unlying cause to her condition as it is now. Her doctor will be able to advise.

Make sure she is comfortable in bed or where ever she is sitting. Also ask of her doctor if a steriod would help, since she also has an auto-immune condition. And remember, it can take some time to recover from pleurisy. Unfortunately it's not a condition that is healed in a week or two.

Please also take a look at our Pleurisy page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/pleurisy

As always, call her doctor if you suspect something else may be going on.

Let me know if this information helps. Thank you again for writing and my best to your mother.

Pleurisy Guide