Is my period just irregular or is it something more serious??

By July 28, 2010 - 11:49am

I've been on birth control for about a year and a half now. My boyfriend and i had sex without a condom and without using the "pull out method" so just to be safe I took the plan b onestep pill. I took the pill either one or two days before my period was scheduled to start, and my period didn't come until 3 days later. Once it came it was normal, but now 2 weeks later I have my period again. I wasn't worried at first because I had read information about what effects plan b can have on your cycle so I just figured that my period was irregular. But, when i told my boyfriend he said he had heard about pregnancy bleeding and has me worried that the plan b and the birth control didn't work and that i could be pregnant and the bleeding i have right now isn't just a period, it could be pregnancy bleeding.
What do you think???? Please answer as soon as possible!!

Hi astrieb

If you are taking the birth control pill, there is no need for you to take Plan B - unless your miss doses. Did this happen?
If you didn't miss a dose, don't take Plan B, you don't need it.

Your boyfriend may have heard about something called 'implantation' bleeding but as they say 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.'

Implantation can happen mid to end of cycle if a woman is pregnant but it's generally spotting - certainly not a "period" kind of bleed. It sounds like what you are experiencing is a side effect of Plan B. Keep taking your pills as usual and you should be back to normal by your next cycle.

I hope this helps you! Let us know what happens in your next cycle.

Thanks so so much for answering my question, i really appreciate it! Is it considered missing a dose if i take within a 12 hour window? I usually take it before i go to sleep around 1130 pm, i forgot then, but then i took it the next morning around 930 or 10am.