My period is late 2 months in a row

By Anonymous December 11, 2014 - 7:21pm

I'm 24, not on diet and 100% sure that I'm not pregnant. But my period is late for 2 months in a row now. The last cycle was 48 days and this cycle has been 39 days already (still no sign of my period). Is there something wrong? What are the possible causes? From my understanding, I thought period cycle should be 35 days at the latest.

A normal cycle is considered anything from 21 days to 35 days, with the average day being about day 28. 

48 days and 39 days means your cycle has become very irregular for an unknown reason. 

Gynecologists typically agree most irregular periods are benign. They’re usually caused by some sort of hormonal imbalance. Monthly periods are susceptible to highs and lows in our emotions and health. Simple things like illness or travel can bring on irregular cycles.

Pregnancy is the most common cause of a missed period. Anorexic or bulimic women or endurance athletes can find their menstrual cycles lessened or stopped due to a decrease in body fat. These women have low estrogen and aren’t ovulating.

Stress – this includes drug use and reliance on caffeine and alcohol – can lead to irregular periods. Medications, such as birth control, may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, skipped periods or no periods at all. Other causes can be recent childbirth, miscarriage, a D&C and even breast-feeding.

Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) usually don’t ovulate regularly. With PCOS, high levels of estrogen are generated but no eggs are released. The excessive estrogen stimulates the uterine lining to thicken to a point where it must be released. However women with this condition aren’t having what are considered “real” menstrual periods since they’re not regularly ovulating.

Another cause may be your thyroid. 

When thyroid hormones are off balance, a wide range of symptoms can result, including irregular periods.

Many women experience irregular periods now and then. Unless you’re pregnant, chances are good your cycle will return to normal next month. If it doesn’t, talk to your health care practitioner to get back on track.

Thank you very much, Susan :)