Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Nipple Pain

By AmyLei

I have been having nipple pain, and not just around my cycle. My nipples are hard and sore to the touch. I cant find any information to do with nipple pain unless it has pregnancy attached and im not pregnant.

Anonymous

so none answered???????

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Try this link here, it has been very active with some good information. Let us know what you think!
http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/sharp-burning-pain-my-nipple-now-b...

~Susan

Ang

I too get this nipple pain! and I also am not pregnant or breastfeeding. My nipples get so painful especially when Im cold and they turn white and hard. I have to have a hot shower or bath to ease the pain. I have had this pain off and on for some time, I couldnt even tell you how long but Id say at least 3 yrs and it is worse in winter. I think Id have to describe the pain as intense and like a tightening sensation. sometimes it spreads through my breast too. I have also been prone to fibrostic cysts. would love some answers!! :) Thanks.

Diane Porter

OK, thanks so much for your quick answers. We'll get this to an expert and see what they say. Hang in there with us and check back in a few days, OK?

Diane Porter

Hi, AmyLei, and thank you so much for your question.

I am assuming this affects both your nipples equally? It sounds like it does, rather than being primarily on one side. And how long has this been like this? Is it pretty recent, or longtime? (If it's recent, think back -- has anything changed recently? Do you sleep on your stomach more? You're exercising longer or with more intensity?)

Do you exercise or run? Do you have a poorly fitting bra or do you go without? A bra that is too small or that creates friction on your nipples can be a cause of pain.

No discharges from your nipples, is that correct?

And it's just the nipples, not the underlying tissue?

If you'll answer these questions, we'll get your question to one of our experts. Perhaps they'll be able to shed some light on what's going on.

AmyLei (reply to Diane Porter)

It has been for awhile. one doctor said to put cortizone(sp?) a few years ago but it has yet to work. Its not all the time but alot of the time. my bra's are fine if anything a smidge of the big side, i have lost some weight. i have always slept on my tummy, since i was little. nope no discharge. sometimes my whole breast hurts, im prone to cysts but for the most part only the nipple.