not sure whats going on

I am not on the pill , I am 43 years old, typically get a period every month . I had sex on Sept. 11(there is a possibility that the condom broke) didn't get a period until Oct 1st it was not a heavy period nor a long one(so no period in September...last period was August 22nd). I had a week and half of cramping on and off, extreme fatigue, lightheadedness before I finally started bleeding ,this cramping ,fatigue and lightheadedness are not normal symptoms for me. Even though the bleeding has stopped . The fatigue and lightheadedness and have not , could this be a hormonal imbalance? if it is a possible pregnancy, when would be the best time to test?

Thanks for writing to EmpowHER!

Why do you think the condom may have broken? If it did break mid-coitus and ejaculation occurred, then pregnancy is a possibility.

However, since you had a period after - even if it was different to your normal kind - you're not pregnant.

You may have a hormonal imbalance, including a thyroid imbalance. You could have anemia or a nutritional deficiency.

A pregnancy test would be accurate by now - take one and see where you stand. If you are not pregnant, talk to your doctor about your symptoms. At 43, you may be in peri-menopause. The first symptom is often an irregular cycle. Read more about that here:

Will you keep us posted?